Pigeon-Talk banner

Rock Pigeon in Austin TX

732 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cwebster 
#1 ·
Hello!
An adult rock pigeon I believe flew into the window of my apartment about 8 hours ago and it became what seemed like confused (walking in circles) and sat down to rest on a chair cushion.
It was still there when I checked about an hour ago, and I went outside with a box or towel and herded it slightly into the box. (This was not at all hard. The poor little guy cannot fly.) He didn't seem to even try to fly, but did inch away from me a tiny bit when I got really close (within a couple feet).

It does seem like it keeps picking up one leg and putting it back down. potentially the leg is injured as well.

Now he is in a big cardboard box with some water. The box is open and he could fly away. it's warm here- and I could leave him outside in the box with some water. Or I can take him inside as well.

What do I do now?? I'm worried if I take him to the vet that it will not go well.

#2 ·
Bring him inside; he's vulnerable

Hi there,

Thanks so much for helping this pigeon! Hopefully those with more expertise than me will be along soon, but I can safely say that you should bring him inside, because if he can't fly he is extremely vulnerable to predators.

If he's a window strike victim he may just need time to recover. If the leg isn't broken it may just need time to heal tissue damage as well.

In terms of taking him to the vet, in my experience many will just kill pigeons because they don't want to deal with them - but I've been able to call ahead to find vets that will see / treat pigeons on the understanding that I am rehabbing them and I am not leaving them there. Luckily I've been able to find a very sympathetic vet who rehabs pigeons herself. Hopefully those who know your area might be able to suggest similar things around you. I think there is a sticky somewhere on veterinary resources; I don't know if it would cover your region.

Best,
Howard

#3 ·
Agree strongly with what Howard said. Thank you for helping him, he may just be hungry and stressed, and please dont let any vet or rescue touch him unless you are sure they will help and not just euthanize him. Our first bird was injured, broken wing and nearly decapitated, but recovered with care and was our sweetest love. The wildlife people just wanted to kill her. Once the bird is feeling better, he may be just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.