Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I saw new bird collecting twigs in my yard. It looked strange and bit smaller then feral pigeons. Then it fly up on the palm tree where other ferals nest. Obviously newcomer is preparing nest there. It is very shy and I can’t see him eating with others. I couldn’t spot mate too. After some browsing on the net I found the picture – original wild rock pigeon.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Had me worried there! Shows how confusing bird naming can be in different parts of the world - did not know there were other birds called rock pigeon apart from columba livia (which is still a rock dove to me) :)

It is a beauty. Are they wary of people?

John

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Looks like a Speckled Pigeon to me? There is only one technical Rock Dove, which is Columba livia, but there are subspecies of C. livia around the world.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is the "mystery bird" on last year's feral pigeon calendar.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was confused with name at first too, but there is no mistake, double checked in the books. I saw pair of them last year perching on my roof, but they disappeared quickly on my appearance and I didn’t have a chance to look at them nicely. I really hope to catch bit more of them because they are mystery birds for me too. And I’ll try to shoot some pictures.

P.S. They look much better live than on the picture.:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
original rock pigeon

Yesterday I saw new bird collecting twigs in my yard. It looked strange and bit smaller then feral pigeons. Then it fly up on the palm tree where other ferals nest. Obviously newcomer is preparing nest there. It is very shy and I can’t see him eating with others. I couldn’t spot mate too. After some browsing on the net I found the picture – original wild rock pigeon.:D
Wow, plamenh! You are so lucky to have such a unique and beautiful bird nesting so close at hand. Keep me posted as to what she (or he) is up to since your post? Faskinating!:confused:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I see. Everywhere I've seen those, they have been called either Speckled Pigeons or Speckled Rock Pigeons. I think adding speckled clears up a lot of confusion, haha. Or perhaps calling them African Rock Pigeons.

The odd thing here is this bird looks more like a dove than a pigeon does. So you would think THIS one would be the Rock 'Dove' and our ferals would be the Rock 'pigeons', technically :p

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Beautiful bird.

·
Registered
330 Posts
These birds have spunk! I'm also in Africa so I know exactly the type you mean with the evil scaly red eyes. I stayed in a back packers in Stellenbosch and when I got up in the morning this bird was sleeping on a pillar next to the bathroom. Next thing I know it's in the shower having a jolly time and chasing all the people out. And I though they were supposed to be scared of people or at least move away. I tried to shepard it out but after much pecking and wings slaps I gave up, and just had a shower with a bird in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts