Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
i was wondering if any of you use turbines on the roofs of your lofts and if it spooks your birds?
I've used turbines,the bird's could'nt care less about them.I got rid of them as they only work if the wind is blowing.I'm sure they helped somewhat, but I wanted a constant flow of fresh air through the loft. I ended up installing those 24"x 24'' fan's you can get at walmart. They worked great. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
the wind has nothing to do with how a turbine works. Hot air rises and makes the turbine work. It's a design thing.
This would mean, by design, turbines would NOT work in a pigeon loft. because the temp inside the loft is the same temp outside the loft. Fan or open loft is the way to go. Just watch out for drafts!!!

Tony

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where do you place your fans? Also, when refering to drafts, don't the fans create a draft? I know that like in Georgia where Big T lives, here in Tennessee it gets pretty dang hot in the summer so I want to ventilate the loft well. I'm a newbie so I want to do it right. Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I thought about using turbines in my loft design but opted out because of they only work when there's a wind blowing. To help solve my ventilation dilemma, I just opened up my loft more with removable boards to put back during the winter.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yes, I have an open loft in the front and half my floor is wired so plenty of air but the back wall is set up to keep the birds out of the wind. I also close the front with plastic on really cold days in winter.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Where do you place your fans? Also, when refering to drafts, don't the fans create a draft? I know that like in Georgia where Big T lives, here in Tennessee it gets pretty dang hot in the summer so I want to ventilate the loft well. I'm a newbie so I want to do it right. Thanks
It's about getting a cross flow. You'll have to check the fan out in various positions. I made a frame for mine, where I could take it out easily to clean. As far as draft's, I think it's much like that irritating gap in the door. Wether you have the heat or the AC on.

·
Registered
393 Posts
To Clarify it, a "Draft" IS Ventilation, MOVING air.Drafts are the Last thing i worry about, and i Live in Illinois. Dave
I looked up draft's and you are correct. Draft mean's air flow, or a good pint of Guinness. However, the point is to get air flow relative to the outside temperature.Stagment air is neither good for the bird's or human's.
If I wanted a draft, I would drill two inch hole's all around the loft...hey maybe I'm on to something?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Carl, that would in theory work, BUT if it is a very still day, you would have Minimal, if any Ventilation. I think you have to be careful with some Fancy Breeds, but with most, proper Sizing of the Fans also removes Dust, Dander Ect. Making it much better on your Birds Lungs, as well as the Fanciers.
With the Few Birds i Keep now, and the Fact my Lofts are VERY open i do not use them... Yet. And i keep them the same, 24/7/365. BUT you can not take a bird that is in a Loft that is closed up Tight and just THROW them into it, unless the Weather is very good. You have to try to Match the Loft they came from, and over Time open it up more, or increase the Venting a little at a Time. Dave

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
View attachment 12291

As you can see I do not need fans. I live down in a hole so wind is not an issue. My birds have perches on the back wall on each side of the nest boxes. I used a candle on a windy day on the perches and it burns without a flicker. In winter I board up the sides and use plastic in front. Georgia does get that cold for very long. Up north different issue.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Big T;375435 Georgia does get that cold for very long. Up north different issue.[/QUOTE said:
Make that: Georgia does NOT get that cold for very long. Up north different issue.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks, My Birds like it too. Also the guy I got my birds from has an open loft also. But like me, he live down in a hole which gave me the idea. If you look behind my loft you see the hill and my house is in front of the loft. But with the trees so close the hawks can move in real close, now with the open loft my birds see them coming and will not come out with the hawk close and let me know where it is. Shot one hawk with my son's paintball gun yesturday, I'm still laughing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
nice set up T. Do us northern's need a passport to come see ya?
Realy, very nice. That saying differant stroke's for differant folk's should be incorporated into the pigeeon dictionary. Us in the north would love to have a loft like that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts