Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, out there! It's Tuesday, 3/31/09, and I just scooped up a pigeon who was run over by the car in front of me here in Long Beach, California. Well, he was actually caught up underneath the car in the undercarriage as opposed to being run over by the tires. He seems fine, no blood, and he's looking around and also calm, but one of his legs is now hanging with little response. I have him contained, warm and still. He is nterested in eating seed, too, although someone told me pigeons are not seed-eaters/

Any experience with this? Can the leg be saved? Can he still function ok biologically (bathroom, etc.) if the leg cannot be saved? Maybe if I keep him warm and happy on my balcony? How long can I expect him to live this way? Any meds he should be given? Any de-worm or vaccines he should receive? Can he be contagious? (I have kitties in the house and I do some kitty rescue work on my balcony, where I would keep the bird.)

If anyone can help with information, please e-mail me at [email protected].

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm concerned about this young pigeon. It is very, very thin (218 grams and razor sharp keel bone), dirty with kind of gunky stuff, unable to stand, not interested in food at all but drinking lots of water. No sign of canker but will do three days of Spartrix and have also given an Appertex. I suspect the bird was in very poor shape even before it tangled with the vehicle. I am tube feeding and hoping that some signs of progress will soon appear.

Terry

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Oh dear...I'm sorry to hear this bird is in such bad shape, I hope it responds quickly to your tender loving care. :)

Thanks for the update, please do let us know about its progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts