Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted and brought home a homer, Rupert, who can no longer fly due to a broken wing.

Rupert was at my hospital a few weeks prior to me adopting him.

Ive brought him home, and hes acting like himself, but Im a bit concerned.
His poops are green and watery and not much to them, and I cant tell if he is eating or not.

Do pigeons leave the hulls of the seeds behind like parakeets/cockatiels or do they eat the whole seed?

I mean right now hes sitting out preening and cooing away, but Im slightly worried. Could he be stressed due to his new living enviroment?

I havent changed his diet. I brought home the same pigeon/dove mix hes been eating for weeks.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Pigeons eat their seeds whole. Are you giving him grit and oyster shell?
The Pigeon's crop is right below the throat, you should be able to feel seed in the crop if he's been eating.
If his poops are green and watery, I'd say he's probably sick and you need to have him evaluated by a veterinarian, that treats birds, ASAP.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That's perfect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been a vet tech for five years now, but im ashamed to say I know little to nothing about birds. Ask me anything about dogs and cats, I could talk for hours.

The tech that used to be our main avian tech quit, so Im quickly having to learn. Id rather not Rupert be the learning subject though =(

I just brough him home Saturday. He hasnt had grit for several weeks while at work, because theyre not supposed to stay that long. Theyre supposed to stay until the bird rescue can pick them up.

I just ordered pigeon grit and better food through Foy's

What kind of issues could I be looking at because he hasnt had any grit?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What kind of issues could I be looking at because he hasnt had any grit?
In a healthy birds and even rehab birds, there isn't really an issue that can be caused by lack of grit, except grit helps digest the seeds by crushing them in the crop. I have had my birds go several days without it and they are fine, but the norm is they always have access to grit..

In egg laying hens, it can be crucial if they are not getting any calcium grit as they not only use it for digestion but they need it for calcium intake for healthy egg shells and more.

You need to make sure the bird is being hand fed if he isn't eating enough, as that can become a real issue, as they go downhill fast from not eating. Feed him about a tablespoon of seed a few times a day, IF he is not eating enough and then make sure he drinks.

He may just need some good gut bacteria, like probiotics and a dop of Apple cider vinegar (organic) in his water, to keep the bad bacteria in check. Stress can cause their good bacteria level to drop, especially in young birds. But do get him checked out by your avian vet given you have the opportunity.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Typical vet/doctor syndrome.
Took him to work, told the doc everything thats going on, look in the cage, normal poops and hes eating just fine.

Bought him some grit, he gobbled it up immediately.

Who knows, perhaps I was over reacting, or he was stressed from moving to a new home.

Doc said he looked perfectly healthy and his weight was good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts