Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I probably don't even need to post this but I wanted to at least give some honor to a little soul who passed today.

We picked up a beautiful white homer from the After Hours Clinic this morning. They said the finder thought it may have been hit by a car but it had no broken bones. After one look, we knew he was just very sick. They had already given him some pain meds about 4:30 this morning and lactated ringers and we gave him Baytril and a womer and put him in a hospital bed with heating pad. His weight was 371 and it is hard to determine if that is normal but many white homers we get in can weigh 550 - 600 grams.

I think he may have been lost and starving and everything just shutting down. He only lived about one hour and, at least, died very peacefully.

He was quite beautiful and had been well cared for - beautiful lustrous, thick feathers and lovely face. We usually take a picture when we get one in but he was so sick didn't want to stress him any more. He was banded but it was a plain band with no writing.

This is the sad part of rehabbing. But, rest in peace, baby. You were loved in the short while you were with us.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I probably don't even need to post this but I wanted to at least give some honor to a little soul who passed today.

We picked up a beautiful white homer from the After Hours Clinic this morning. They said the finder thought it may have been hit by a car but it had no broken bones. After one look, we knew he was just very sick. They had already given him some pain meds about 4:30 this morning and lactated ringers and we gave him Baytril and a womer and put him in a hospital bed with heating pad. His weight was 371 and it is hard to determine if that is normal but many white homers we get in can weigh 550 - 600 grams.

I think he may have been lost and starving and everything just shutting down. He only lived about one hour and, at least, died very peacefully.

He was quite beautiful and had been well cared for - beautiful lustrous, thick feathers and lovely face. We usually take a picture when we get one in but he was so sick didn't want to stress him any more.

This is the sad part of rehabbing. But, rest in peace, baby. You were loved in the short while you were with us.
i am sorry to hear that i mean you win some and you lose some i have to think its a fact of live and you gave him a better end than what it could had been

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That is such a sad end for a beautiful bird that must have been loved by someone. So glad you were there for it and died with dignity in your care.

Janet

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
This is always a heartbreak. Rehabbing can be so sad. My heart breaks for every little bird that we can't save.

Thank you Maggie, for picking up this sweet bird. I am sure he knew he was loved and he wasn't alone in his final moments.

Reti

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Maggie,

Am so glad you were able to give this little soul a sense of safety and comfort in it's last moments on earth. RIP little one. And peace be with you Maggie, and your hands of comfort for the lost and hurt ones.

Margaret

·
Registered
911 Posts
Maggie,

So sorry for this loss of this bird. Thank you for giving him comfort and love in his final hours. Bless you Maggie for all your dedication for all the rescue work you do.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. When Julius died, I felt probably what you're feeling now. I'm just glad that I didn't give up when the next pigeon came along that needed help. Maggie and then Benji - both are doing well - one free and one in a condo. But you know as well as I do that the bird you picked up probably left this place on earth feeling loved and wanted when you picked it up and took it home. There's always that satisfaction in knowing that.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I am SO sorry, Maggie!

Just breaks my heart to read such heartrending posts.

All was done that could have been done and thank goodness this lovely soul did not die alone and neglected. R.I.P. beautiful pigeon...

Sending loving, comforting healing thoughts with big hugs, dearest Maggie

Shi

·
Registered
813 Posts
oh Maggie~ :( Im just very grateful that he had the chance to be in the caring hands of yourself... Rest in peace sweet baby!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts