Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just read this article also. How can we intervene to save this pigeon? It seems we could set up a find right here to pay fir it’s capture and return back to the US. If the owner can’t be found I would gladly give it a home. I called the National Homing Pigeon Association and they said there is nothing they can do. I can’t believe we can’t find an organization which will get involved to save this bird. It needs to be caught, crated and out on a plane back to the US. Any ideas?
8C0A7E1C-0112-4B16-9007-61CC813F1CF2.jpeg

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wcould you contact them and find out cost for sending it to you and let them know you would adopt it? Dont know of any bird epidemics from pigeons in US right now.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about contacting Palomacy and asking if they could intervene ? They may have members there and i would gladly help pay the costs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How sad... Is it so difficult to check whether the bird is infected or a carrier of any disease which is nonexistent in Aus ?? Why simply take such a hasty decision and kill the poor thing... I could totally understand if Aus never ever had a single case of Covid at all during the pandemic. Disgusting to even think of killing that poor bird for no fault of its own... I hope the same happens to its executors if at all they decide to do that...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Australia's Agriculture Department which is responsible for biosecurity agreed that the pigeon was wearing a "fraudulent' leg band (see full explanations in Pigeon in Australia Saved from Death Row in https://toofab.com/2021/01/14/pigeo...sease-risk-after-crossing-ocean-to-australia/. Following an investigation the department has concluded that Joe the Pigeon is highly likely to be Australian and does not present a biosecurity. The Department said they will take no further action. Mister Bird, the owner of the house where Joe lives with a dove most recently, although amazed at Joe's "change of citizenship" changed Joe's name into "Aussie Joe". So enjoy, Nita. Cheers everybody!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Joe the pigeon is definitely not a racing homer. That is the first fact that they got wrong. I would not trust anything they say if they could not even do their research before announcement. Glad to hear he's not an overseas stray for Australia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts