Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not able to loacte this discussion group untill today, sadly! My adult daughter had moved in about 6 months before my son bought a 4 month old pair of Diamond doves...with her cat. Anyway, the obvious finally happened and the cat got out of her room (she lives in the basement with a door that separates that area, which was left open). My son was horrified, and I have been doing what I can to help.
The cat knocked the cage down and the female was eaten. Amazingly, the male was found. I found him dazed and out of the cage, under the edge of a dresser, clearly in shock. No blood, but a damaged left wing (he could still fly, not well), and his left foot appeared to be broken or maimed. This all happened on Tuesday of last week. I had no idea where an aviary vet was, and due to economic circumstances, there is no way I could afford much if anything.
He was in shock as expected and we took extra precautions to keep him warm and in a quiet place for the next 2 days. He seems to be recovering. He eats well and no longer sleeps for extended periods, he was previously falling asleep within seconds of being settled and only was alert when startled. He holds both wings up proper now, but the foot still appears hurt as he can prop himself on it, but cannot move it or open the claws. The last concern I have is that his droppings have gone from small balls to large clumps. Ther were previously 1/8th to maybe1/4 of an inch in size, there have been a few over the last two days that are almost 1/2 of an inch and almost egg shaped. They have some green, yellow and white in them and are the same consistancy as before, just very large. Maybe from him sitting in one place and just adding to a previous dropping? Anyway, after a full 6 days, I feel that he will at least be OK, but obvously never the same. Would any of you recommend that we try to find another mate at some point in the future? I don't want him to be lonely, but I also don't want to cause him further stress. Also-- yes, the cat is now living with my daughters friend. I advised she get it out and try to follow when she can. Sorry for being too wordy!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello, I have no experience at all of Diamond Doves , but I am bumping this up in the hope that the people that have experience will read it and help you out.

As far as companionship goes my own view is that - at the right time - he will benefit from the company of a mate.

Feefo

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi Joesickness,

It sounds like your Dove is fighting one or more infections or systemic infections, where, among other things, his Liver is affected ('Yellow' Urates ).

I would suggest you bring him to an experienced Avian Vet for an examination, and, bring fresh poops/urates with when you go.

If you can not afford or logistically arrange this, then, maybe some of us here could try and offer detailed advice, pending further detailed info from you.

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much! I've heard that Diamonds are a much more sensative breed, and they are a lot smaller. Any information is great. I just want to make "Dexter" (that's his name) as happy as I can, and my son is really trying to stay positive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The male does not look as though he was attacked by the cat. Like I said, there were no cuts, bite marks, or blood. The cage was on a shelf about 6 feet off the floor and the cat jumped from a dresser over to the cage and pulled it down. I think the trauma suffered was due to the fall. There is an odd, tuft of feathers in the middle of his back that looks like a couple of feathers are out of place and there is an edge like one of the feathers is broken or bent, but it is not comming from under, or through the skin.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i treat all birds that were attacked by a cat with anti biotics regardless of whether i can find an injury or not so much can hide under feathers.
all it takes for them to get a raging infection is one little pin prick from the tooth or nail of a cat, they have a bacteria called pasteurella in their saliva and it's deadly, they are like little komodo dragons.
he does have obvious wounds so if i was you i would call a vet immediately and get some antibiotics for him, even if it's not an avian vet.
as for finding him a mate i would wait until he is fully healed and has had a little time to mourn the death of his mate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like good advice. You have a really good point in that I really don't know all that occurred, and the last thing I want is for a rattled survivor to suffer further. I will start calling around today. Thank you all for the advice.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You absolutely have to get that bird on antibiotics within the next 12-24 hours if not sooner - it has already been 2 days - there's no more wiggle room. What you describe is physcal illness- not just emotional shock. Sorry to hear this all happened- hindsight is always 20\20 - but plenty of folks have birds and cats and really these sort of things are not inevitable- just some basic precautions keep things safe....do get that dove to a vet ASAP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Actually, it's been exactly 7 days. Had I known then what I know now I would have acted differently. Also, he has improved so much that I actually heard him coo-ing this morning. His droppings have reduced in size, but still larger than they were. He is able to hop around and can use his foot now, not perfect, but better. I certainly understand the concern, but I really don't appreciate the insinuation that I didn't take basic precautions. I allowed a family member to move in with a pet, and a basic rule of keeping a door shut was forgotten. I do agree that getting proper care for an injured animal or pet is the right thing to do, but as I explained, times are tough right now, and as time has clearly shown...nature is often better than any human with a degree.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It sounds as if he with your care he is healing well.

90% of cats carry pasteurella in their saliva, which is why rescuers treat all cat caught birds with antibiotics immediately, otherwise many would die within 24 hours of pasteurella septcemia or withing a few days of pasteurellosis.

And believe me, we are not here to judge you...we all make mistakes, if we didn't we would live in an accident free world.

Feefo

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have Diamond Doves too and they are a very sensitive and skittish species, much more so than than our Ringneck Doves or pigeons. Since Dexter is still alive after a week I'm guessing the cat didn't actually touch him; otherwise he wouldn't have survived. I agree with what others have said that a vet visit is still in order if at all possible. Eventually you should try to get him another mate as doves are highly social.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I also have Diamond Doves and Birdmom4ever sounds like sound advice right now since it has been a week if he continues to do well and you have financial stress I would just keep an eye on him and making sure his health is going in the right direction. Sometimes since there has been trauma it is best to leave them alone as long as they are doing well. These birds like Birdmom4ever says are very skittish and they are skittish with no sense (if you know what I mean) and a lot of times just trying to get them to the vet would hurt them even more---no septcemia here from cat bacteria so I would leave things as they are and take care of it as you usually do...I have 6 diamond Doves. The cooing is the great thing and the droppings larger and smaller can be explained and it seems normal to me at this time---Keep us posted......c.hert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's actually doing great!

Yes, his foot still has an issue, it looks as though he will always have limited use, but he is now able to stand, jump to his perch and has a very healthy appetite. The skittishness is still there, but back to where he was before the attack. I also believe that he's a little "stronger" for the experience and my son is really trying a lot harder to pay more attention to him and be more responsible overall.
Thank you all for your support and advice. I spoke to a vet who treats parrots and other larger birds; he said that if Dexter has made it this long, he will probably be fine, but did say that there may be unseen issues that could linger or cause problems later on that even he might not be able to determine in such a small animal. Of course he offered to take a look, but at $50 for him to tell me what he pretty much said over the phone... I'll just keep up with our love and care for Dexter.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I also believe that he's a little "stronger" for the experience and my son is really trying a lot harder to pay more attention to him and be more responsible overall.

I'm sorry about what happened to your birds. I really am. Sadly a teaching lesson that when we have different animals who all live together, we can not afford to get lax or comfortable. We have to always take extra care to keep them safe. It only takes seconds. I doubt very much that he is a little "stronger" for the experience. He has been horrified, injured, and lost his mate. There is just no way to find anything good in this. He will probably never be the same. His safety has been shattered in his cage (his home), which should be his place of safety and security. His feeling safe again will be a long time coming. How long would it be for you to get over being the victim of a home invasion?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That wonderful just keep your love and care up and the foot is sore right now but I am sure will heal in time heck I have one with one toe missing that does fine a little slower and less likely to fly but still is more skitish and really I am afraid to pack it up to go to the vet unless : I really have too....and then when I finally did take it and another to the vet they told me (first vet) (I have 3) this one is closer...they told me Oh the father probley eat the toe when it was young and then about the second one--had a hurt wing and a lump in it and I was concerned---maybe just massageing it might help or maybe it is a tumor---this vet did not seem very interested in much---so I brought the bird home.
The birds are doing fine and the bump went away but its wing hangs somewhat--but it is more trouble to these very tiny birds to get them there and be examined then its really worth unless something is really really wrong like for instance the suggestion of the septemcia (cat bacteria) thats serious...and in that case antibiotics would save the birds life like the poster said in the beginning of your thread...glad things are going good..c.hert

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Glad to read that the little dove seems to be recovering now.

I hope you will take from here the well intended comment and suggestions offered, and ignore those of the other kind which, as often as not, merely reflect on the sender.

John

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi Joesickness,

Very glad to hear Dexter is doing well.

Diamond Doves are just so cute and wacky, I dearly love them.

Birds caught by Cats can sometimes survive the usual systemic and localized infection issues on their own...though, of course, this is not regarded as being either the rule, nor, something to bet on.

One thing you can do, if he will put up with being handled gently, is, to look and feel carefully for any hint of displaced Feathers, any Feathers slightly raises or out of place, anywhere.

And, if you find any such places, look visually, carefully, by parting the Feathers there, to see the Skin at that area, and, see if there is any little scab or other injury site.

One touch with the tip of a Claw from a Cat, which perforates through the Feathers easily, and, into the skin, and, one of two things can happen -

1) Bacteria is introduced which will occasion a sytstemic infection, which, the Bird either successfully fights off and corrects on his own, gets Antibiotics for, or, perishes by day four, usually.

2) Bacteris is introduced under his skin, where, a small, localized infection may occur, and, either resolve on his own immune system's Steam, or, lingers, unresolved, making a tiny rotting spot which may or may not have an odor. A small scab may in fact be the top of a deeper necrotic 'plug', which would need to be removed, and, the hole treated with medicines, where, things then typically clear up fast and nicely.

So...investigate any hints of Feathers not in order...just to see if you find anything on the skin there.

Also, take Scizzors, and cut up fresh Leafy Greens now and then,ince a week say, into a half teaspoon worth if really tiny bite-size-for-him pieces...out these in a pile next to his Seeds, and this once he finds out how much he likes them, will help him stay healthy and live a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sorry about what happened to your birds. I really am. Sadly a teaching lesson that when we have different animals who all live together, we can not afford to get lax or comfortable. We have to always take extra care to keep them safe. It only takes seconds. I doubt very much that he is a little "stronger" for the experience. He has been horrified, injured, and lost his mate. There is just no way to find anything good in this. He will probably never be the same. His safety has been shattered in his cage (his home), which should be his place of safety and security. His feeling safe again will be a long time coming. How long would it be for you to get over being the victim of a home invasion?
Is there some requirement that someone with "jay" in their name has to act very aloof in regard to others? Otherwise, I really do appreciate the advice and instruction of others though, so thank you.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Accidents happen despite our best intentions and precautions...that's why they're called "accidents." Let's show some mercy here. What's done is done. I'm glad to hear Dexter is doing better. That's what matters now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wanted to give you all an update-

Not only did Dexter recover- but we actually got him a mate and they have had a successful mating that produced a baby. It's amazing how life can find a way!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts