Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I've checked with my local USPS Live Shipment contact and he says that it is safe to ship birds year-round because the birds are kept in climate-controlled situations throughout. He says the same limitations apply as in the spring- call a day before you ship to confirm that weather on route is clear, flights are planned and no prohibitive cargo is planned (such as dry ice which puts off fumes).

Do you all agree?

We've got more than 40 gorgeous, sweet, rescued kings in need of great homes so shipping is important!

Thanks,

·
Registered
386 Posts
The state of AZ will not allow shipments into AZ during the summer months, but that is the only restriction that I know of.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The state of AZ will not allow shipments into AZ during the summer months, but that is the only restriction that I know of.
That's incorrect.

Although I wouldn't ship birds during the summer months, I thought AZ shipped and accepted birds all year.

Just to make sure I checked with my local PO and they do in fact ship and accept birds all year, to include the summer months.

In fact, the fellow I spoke with stated they receive birds on a regular basis.

Cindy

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Just shipped 10 birds to NJ the other day. They didn't mention anything about restrictions. Actually I shipped a lot of birds all over the country in the summer, even to AZ some years back.
They were all fine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Personally I wouldn't ship in the summer. When I shipped a bird it was by Northwest Cargo, and they wouldn't ship animals when temps got to 90 deg F.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I wouldn't ship either.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My 6 pigeons are going out tommrow, from Bismarck, North Dakota, to Whatkins, Georgia.
They will leave at 5:00 PM, fly at night, :cool: be processed, and delivered, sometime, in the day time.
I'm not worried.
2 Days, 1 Night. Total
USPS

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
All I can say is that the temps here now are HOT, HOT, HOT!!

Sure would hate to take a chance with temps so high...especially receiving.

Love and Hugs
Shi :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
My 6 pigeons are going out tommrow, from Bismarck, North Dakota, to Whatkins, Georgia.
They will leave at 5:00 PM, fly at night, :cool: be processed, and delivered, sometime, in the day time.
I'm not worried.
2 Days, 1 Night. Total
USPS
It's the heat ND that's the problem. It's pretty darn hot at 5pm.

·
Registered
795 Posts
They arrived at 6:00 am, in Georgia, this morning.
Everything is A OK.
When I mailed them, the head of the Post Office said that they ship them all the time, what ever the temp. is year round.
But I still wouldn't ship if it was too hot for me outside, say 80 or higher.
It's been a little cooler the last week + rainy, so I got away with it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hello-

I've checked with my local USPS Live Shipment contact and he says that it is safe to ship birds year-round because the birds are kept in climate-controlled situations throughout. He says the same limitations apply as in the spring- call a day before you ship to confirm that weather on route is clear, flights are planned and no prohibitive cargo is planned (such as dry ice which puts off fumes).

Do you all agree?

We've got more than 40 gorgeous, sweet, rescued kings in need of great homes so shipping is important!

Thanks,
Well thats good to know, I wonder how the not shipping in hot temps got started then? I guess this answers the question "are they in climate-controlled places."... the temps are not even an issue....just the weather I guess.....interesting. It makes me happy...for the birds esp...

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Whoever the postal worker was, was wrong. They DO have a regulation and it DOES state what temps, high and low, are acceptable. But it's just like everything else in this world. $$'s are the bottom line. I'm glad that these birds made it safely, but everyone that arrives safe, there's probably a few that don't, that we never know about.
IMO, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Whoever the postal worker was, was wrong. They DO have a regulation and it DOES state what temps, high and low, are acceptable. But it's just like everything else in this world. $$'s are the bottom line. I'm glad that these birds made it safely, but everyone that arrives safe, there's probably a few that don't, that we never know about.
IMO, better safe than sorry.
I agree.....

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
So do I. What if something goes wrong with the climate control or something. I just wouldn't want to take a chance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts