Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a salmonella breakout, several birds are ill. One developed neurological symptoms because I started the treatment too late. Another one seems to go blind at one eye.

Is a form of Salmonella that manifest with an aqueous diarhhea, much transparent liquid and some feces of browinish or pale green color. I wasn't sure what is until today, when the problem at the eye appeared and I made a connection with what I've read on older threads on this forum or on some vet sites.

What I need to know is this:

1. About the neurological symptoms: how soon are supossed to disappear? Thr aspect of droppings improved radically, is solid most of the time, though yellowish (the bird has had liver in past, including some scrry jaunice episods. Yet, while the droppins are solid, no improvement is in neurological symptom, torticollis and lack of coordination of movements.

2. Are the ocular problems reversible? A baby of three weeks got Salmonella too and he seems to go blind with one eye, which also presents some white cloud inside the globe:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't keep them in a loft but in an appartment room. I posted photos of my pigeons on this page:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/baby-missing-feathers-on-crop-75264.html

After starting treatment with injectable antibiotics (lincospectin) on all but one of them (who seems ok for now), the disease seems to be under control.

Only one died sudden, the male from this couple, just in the night after taking the photo, after showing green diarrhea.

Btw, the white one in photo is now well and has coupled with the girl with broken beak and now are cooing very happy all the day.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pigeon in photo in first post is now suffering from intestinal and sinus canker. Because of sinus canker, it can't breath through nose, keeps the mouth open.

Is something else I can do beside giving metronidazole? Apparently, the trichomonas have became resistant to drug and I can't find ronidazole here..

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Andrei, have you seen the canker in the bird, or had a throat swab/droppings test?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, but there are the known signs: green feces with yellow urates, enteritis and respiratory: is heard like a sort of viscous liquid inside the nose. And other birds have had wet canker too these days.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Yellow urates are indicative of something affecting the liver - which can be various problems. The other symptoms, really, could equally (if not more) apply to both Salmonellosis or E.coli.

Resistance to a particular medicine in birds who have canker is usually caused by people treating birds 'as a precaution' or under dosing, regularly. It is mostly going to happen within the loft where these bad practises are carried out. It would be somewhat unusual to have canker in birds from feral flocks already resistant.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, is the result of incomplete treatment period, most likely.

As for possibility of Salmonella or e-coli, previously I treated him for this with injectable antibiotics which would have cleaned these diseases. The green of the feces has become discolored, as happens in canker.

Now I have given some injectable Metro and the gurgling of liquid is lesser heard.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Apparently he got stabilised with the bowel issue for moment. It is salmonella at bowel and canker at sinuses (there are even missing feathers next to the beak). The salmonella is not a problem (I hope) as Lincospectin can deal with it. As for the canker, I cannot say.

Here is a video with him breathing open-mouthed. Maybe somebody has an idea what can be done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8L6_mSc2E

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
It looks to me like a serious respiratory problem, quite likely bacterial in cause. The right eye appears to be closed up, too. In the absence of a vet to diagnose, I personally would be giving a course of Baytril or Doxycycline, while treating for canker.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I have a pigeon inside now whose eye looked like that. It was an injury to the cornea from being pecked in a fight. I am treating with eye drops containing Chloramphenicol, having taken him to the vet.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
He partly blinded at both eyes following a salmonella some weeks ago (when I started the thread). Recently, a swelling appeared on the eyelid of the eye he keeps closed, possibly the beginning of a pox nodule. Maybe this is why keeps the eye closed.

I've treated him with Doxy last night and with incospectin this morning, but the situation is worsening fast. I was thinking at an injection with Metro in neck so I was preparing to go to vet as I haven't performed neck injections till now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Make sure your diagnosis is correct. However, a couple years back we picked up Salmonella at a show......a couple or our birds did show the neurological symptoms (neck twisting on some, wobbling on another....almost pmv type). We treated with Baytril for the full period (10 days or two weeks???) They recovered but it took the neurological symptoms a couple weeks to disappear even though it was obvious they were feeling better before that. Recovery was 100% though and they bred fine the following year and no more incident since.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He has both pmv and salmonella, as the neurological symptoms persisted for a month and half. His father died sudden of salmonella (I could have saved him easily but I left him untreated because I was not surw what is).

Salmonella was treated first time when occured (when I started the thread) but relapsed now.

As for the respiratory symptoms, it came out is mycoplasmosis. After administering Tylosin two hours ago, breathing has become normal (shut mouth) and the gurgling sound dissapeared. He is very weak because of the many medicines I gave him, because of dehydration following enteritis and because the liver is affected (very yellow feces and urates) but I hope he gonna make it.

This is how he looks now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzcAptOFbI

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In th evening, the respiratory symptoms returned, with higher virulence. He looks like feeling some intense pain, struggles violently, runs around like trying to escape of certain physical experience. And breaths open-mouthed, with loud rattlings and whislting.

Is probably airsackulitis but don't know what causes it. As I gave medicines for canker, chlamydia, mycoplasma, air sack mites, the only variant remaining is aspergillus. I gave him osme water that previously was mixed with crushed garlic, then flitered.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every tim when I feed or give him water, he opposes violently and afterward he breaths like he aspirated liquid into respiratory tract, no matter how little I gave to him. It seems the crop has shrunk or there is other condition that causes this.

What can I do?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
If you have an avian vet hope you can get him there soon. You have been trying hard but I would ask for a vet opinion as he sounds like he's getting worse right now, poor birdie.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Some pigeons and doves really hate being hand fed and struggle like crazy.When I was treating one of mine with Metacam recently, he would make regurgitating sounds simply from me opening his beak.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have an avian vet hope you can get him there soon. You have been trying hard but I would ask for a vet opinion as he sounds like he's getting worse right now, poor birdie.
Not such thing in Bucharest (probably at some chicken farms).
Some pigeons and doves really hate being hand fed and struggle like crazy.When I was treating one of mine with Metacam recently, he would make regurgitating sounds simply from me opening his beak.
This may happened with mine too, but normally he would become accustomed with the procedure. I think he's scared because I gave him hot garlic and bitter metro and when he was strugling, I think water entered his lungs, thus making him even more afraid of procedure. Also, I think I was feeding him too much.

I still am not sure what he has, the missing feathers under beak and some fluorescent droppings make me think canker, while the fats and radical response to Tylosin make me think of Mycoplasma. Maybe both of them.

All day he suffered from some internal pain. Now, in the evening, after giving Tylosin again, he seems relaxed, except for the open mouth breathing, which is perhaps becaue the water in lungs.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
If he is struggling with the meds and hand feeding please make sure to not let him aspirated any liquids. When I medicate our pigeon I wrap her gently in a towel, keep her fully upright, open her beak gently while keeping her head stabilized gently, and only give her a little at a time so it doesn't go into her lungs. Good luck with your poor pigeon. Hope he is better soon. Glad to hear he seems more relaxed. Would caution that you are treating for more than one thing without a clear diagnosis. Hope you give the pigeon a chance to eat and drink and rest on his own as he feels better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts