Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just saved a baby pigeon that was attacked by an aggressive pigeon on it's first flight. I know this wasn't a parent, as I am very familiar with my local feral pigeons by feeding them and caring for the random baby with tied up legs from hair & wire. I had been hearing non-stop squeaks for about a week now and was awaiting the new babies, and surprise, THREE of them showed up at the local watering hole (my window sill) with papa, flapping their wings and squeaking aloud. Then, this one aggressive "problem" bird ran them off and chased them away. The babies came back about 15 min later, and in an instant, he just attacked, wings flapping, chest bumping, and pecking. 2 were nowhere in sight, but one was stuck in the corner of the window frame, I reached out the window and grabbed the big bird and batted him away. The one baby was cowered in the corner, and bloody, not soaked, but had tinted his feathers. he did escape a potential scalping I believe.

I looked him over and seems as though other than scratches, he seems to have sprained a wing, and is limping on one foot, no break or anything that I can see. I took a big cardboard box and attached a plastic screen material to one side and the top, folded up some old pillow cases, paper towels, and made him a bed, and made a mix of oats, brown rice, bulgar, lentil, split peas, & chia seeds. He has a HUGE appetite and is drinking water (after I held him over it and taught him to drink it by putting his beak in the water). He stays in the box, and every few hours I let him chill out on top of my 3d printer (which is on top of my fridge) for 10-15 min with some food. He has no fear of me, lets me pick him up and pet him. I estimate his age at 3-4 weeks based on it being the first or second flight, and physically he has white feathers on one side of his face, like some of the other babies (unless that is just dried crop milk). I do have to put the food right in front of him (he prefers it sprinkled on top of the 3d printer where he perches) and I have to hold the water dish up to him and tap my finger in the water for him to drink. so he isn't fully "self-sufficient".

It has been a week, and I leave the window open when he is out in the open on the printer. The dad, mom, & 2 siblings still come to the window sill for food and even come inside, staying on the window frame (as they have always done). I have put him on the inside window sill (he freaks if I put him on the outside part) They don't seem to care about him and he has similar feelings for them haha, but it seems as though the siblings are still at the nest. They squeak and flap their wings, he doesn't. I guess it is POSSIBLE he happened to infiltrate the initial family outing/first flight and isn't a sibling, but seems too far-fetched.

He is doing better and has flown a bit. When I can't constantly monitor him, I tape his flight feathers so he can't fly into a wall and hurt himself.

He can leave when he is out of the box, if he wants, he doesn't (I think he is right at the age of where he would leave the nest for good?). I put him in the box when I leave for his safety, but today I came back from shopping, and he was on my printer.. busted right through the screen mesh on the box.. haha. I'm not going to force him to leave, and weary of that other bird right now. The alley all my windows overlook has a screen over the top, and I think most of the birds here are mostly trapped in, or stay for hawk protection?

So, onto my actual question now that the whole background/facts have been established.. Other than a mirror in the box, and perching on my printer, any other tips for keeping him stimulated? I am very familiar with birds, but not so much with very young pigeons, have only worked with adult racers. I am going to keep taking care of him and see where it goes, but definitely want the most engaging life I can give him for as long as he is here.

Any other tips while I am at it? Any mistakes I am making so far? I have read a LOT, but experienced input is always best. Oh, as far as bathing.. can I just put a container of water out on the floor and put him near it? Not enough room in his box until I grab a dog crate from my neighbor. I put some water in a pie tin, and set him in it (just a few mm of water) and he walked right out, kinda like "screw this".

Also, any tips for driving off this aggressive male? It is actually a male/female pair, though in 4 months, no babies from them, so I don't think it is protecting a nest.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That isn't his parents and siblings. They have 2 eggs which equals 2 babies. Very rare for more than 2. It is better if his own parents raise him, as he won't learn all that he needs to know when released. Maybe grabbing the mean adult would have been a good idea, and keep him confined till these guys are older.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts