Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help I need advice any thing good picked up from experience will help! My 8 day old baby pigeon was scalped today and the other one was worked on a little. We went to the vet got him cleaned up and some meds. Here's the problem I can tell they are hungry but I'm having a hard time feeding them. I have hand fed before but not so young, advice please, a web sight or some thing. The other question is why, why would this happen?!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gosh! I should have read the other post on the subject, I could have saved $65 for the vet visit! Dang I could kick my self TWICE!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
NEVER kick yourself for going to the VET !!!! You did the absolute best thing you could have done for those babies. Home remedies are great ...but you don't really wanna mess with 'em on 8-day olds.

Pat yourself on the back.

Is it possible that the babies wandered into the wrong place (someone else's territory) ?

Regarding feeding...search around the Forum a bit. Kaytee Exact formula via a syringe works well...just go slowly and be careful to avoid the airpipe or they can aspirate. By about day 11 you can switch to thawed peas and corn....

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Thin formula, in the hollow side of a regular people-baby feeding Nip-Ple....served 'tepid'...fill Nip-Ple about 4/5ths or so...guide their little Beak into it, softly squeeze the top edge of the Nip-Ple for it to softly press against the sides of their Beak...and, they will gladly eat/drink/gobble the formula.

Might be good to use warm, slightly moist finger tips to massage their Beak to get them 'Nuzzling' first, then...guide the Beak to the Nip-Ple.

Trim the Nipple flange like this -

The 2nd from the left - just use Scissors, cut the 'flange' off.

More images and sort of how-to, here -

http://public.fotki.com/PhilBphil/baby_dove_-_july/

Some additional images and info here also -

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/547324376ZDjOCU

This is a very safe, easy, fun, way for them to eat volentarily...easy to provide a food and goo size meal this way.

Make formula 'soupy'...offer Tepid Water the same way, between Meals.

Any reason the parents would not feed them?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
This is how I feed babies.....

I use a small baby bottle and cut the tip of the nipple half way down (just enough to slide their beak into). Then cut the finger off a rubber glove and slide it over the nipple. Put a cross slit at the top of the glove (kind of surrounds their beak to help with the mess)
They love it!

·
Registered
890 Posts
This is how I feed babies.....

I use a small baby bottle and cut the tip of the nipple half way down (just enough to slide their beak into). Then cut the finger off a rubber glove and slide it over the nipple. Put a cross slit at the top of the glove (kind of surrounds their beak to help with the mess)
They love it!

When you're using this method doesn't the formula get into their nostrils and plugged them? Seems like it would.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
When you're using this method doesn't the formula get into their nostrils and plugged them? Seems like it would.
No, havent had a problem with that at all.
If they do, they are smart enough to pull out because they cant breath :)
Usually the glove finger over the hole stops that, and I also keep a damp guaze pad handy to wipe away any leakage.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What a helpful post! I have never attempted to feed babies, thinking it was way out of my league - but with your pics I can see that I could manage this method. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
What a helpful post! I have never attempted to feed babies, thinking it was way out of my league - but with your pics I can see that I could manage this method. Thanks so much!
It's very easy...they do all the work :D you just have to clean up the mess!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off I want to say thank you guys are great kind hearted people (the salt of the earth) . I didn't want to risk leaving them in the loft, if I did I just might as well pull a sleeping bag and just move in the loft because there would be no sleep for me, worring all night and day. Well they didn't wonder, they were in their nest. And great pictures! I went with the glove over the syringe, and they have been eating great! :)
I do have a question, how often do I need to feed them?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
First off I want to say thank you guys are great kind hearted people (the salt of the earth) . I didn't want to risk leaving them in the loft, if I did I just might as well pull a sleeping bag and just move in the loft because there would be no sleep for me, worring all night and day. Well they didn't wonder, they were in their nest. And great pictures! I went with the glove over the syringe, and they have been eating great! :)
I do have a question, how often do I need to feed them?
I use Exact Hand feeding Formula, and I feed them when their crop is almost empty. (I don't wait until its completely empty)
Are they still in the nest with the parents?
Whenever I had (haven't for awhile - thank God) scalped babies, I didn't chance leaving them in the loft. I bring them inside, keep on a heating pad on low and finish hand raising them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is this common (scalped babies)? Does any one have a clue why this happens. Yes they are inside with me. I am giving them Exact.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Is this common (scalped babies)? Does any one have a clue why this happens. Yes they are inside with me. I am giving them Exact.
sometimes if other birds can get in their box they will pick on the babies or if the babies stray from the nest box another bird will pick on them.. if their nest box is a popular one and you have over crowding that can cause fights over the box and the babies get hurt in the process.. not having nest fronts can make it easier for another bird to fly in and try to take over..

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
It can happen for a number of reasons....over crowding, small or inadequate nest box (no front),'bully' bird in loft or young immature cocks. In my case - I have a couple of hens that insist on laying eggs on the floor against the wall or in the corners. The youngsters will 'toddle' out :eek: So I try not to let them nest on the floor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It can happen for a number of reasons....over crowding, small or inadequate nest box (no front),'bully' bird in loft or young immature cocks. In my case - I have a couple of hens that insist on laying eggs on the floor against the wall or in the corners. The youngsters will 'toddle' out :eek: So I try not to let them nest on the floor.[/QUOTAlouDound

Sounds about right young cocks, no nest box front, popular next box. They are not feeling the other ones for some reason. Does any one know of some easy ways to make them (nest boxes)

by the way the babies are doing GREAT! Thanks to all of your help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts