Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a link to the before and after pictures of Winnie-the-Pooh.

http://community.webshots.com/album/549603445FLlQwU

Winnie is a 2005 hen that was brought to my attention by my pigeon-loving colleague last November. I think she had had a close encounter with one of the cars that race down the hill next to the taxi rank where the pigeons congregate. She was huddled against a wall with part of her scalp gone. Closer inspection showed that she could not use one of her wings and that her lower beak swung around alarmingly when touched.

I raced home and put her in a fish tank under a thermal heat bulb. When she was warmed up I injected some Hartmanns, gave her a single drop of metacam to kill the pain, smeared some Intrasite gel across her head to keep the wound moist and prevent scabbingg ,then left her in the intensive care tank while I hurried back to work.

Her beak and wing healed quickly but it took about 4 months for her scalp to regrow. As her owner didn't want her back she is the aviary where she has just layed her first clutch.

Cynthia

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Cynthia,

Your wonderful love and supportive care did wonders for Winnie. She is beautiful now and quite content from what I see from the picture. :p

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
OOhhh what a meanie ( the owner - not wanting her back:mad: ). Poor little love.

She looks great now with Virgil. That injury looked pretty bad so well done for getting her on the mend.:D

Tania x

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you knew just what to do for her.
Actually I didn't, she was the first scalped pigeon that I had found and I had never had a fractured beak to deal with. I used the information gleaned from the International Wound Management website.

Fortunately pigeons like to work with us and their fast metabolisms lead to rapid healing!

I posted the photos to reassure others that find a scalped pigeon that although the injury looks horrific it is usually straightforward to treat. Which reminds me, I also gave her a course of Synulox .

Cynthia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.