Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have a couple scalped youngsters. I was wondering if they will still make good racers once they have been scalped?? Any info would be great.:D
Do you mean they've been pecked on their head? What you mean by good racers?

For my opinion:

The feathers will still grow if you treat the wound right away...They are born with homing instinct with the right training and great health, they will be a good winner...I don't think their instinct is gone even they're scalp feathers are gone...Maybe you want to know if the club will accept a scalped racer? I don't think they are not going to be disqualified on the race eventhough they have some complications on their appearance...I had a BBC that was given to me and he was pecked on the his right eye (Popeye) when he was a squab and won couple of races ranking on the top ten...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes they were pecked from one of my cock birds. I was wondering if the feathers would grow in, and if they would home the same as if this did not happen.

I have one that was scalped by one of my bully cocks while it was young. There is still a spot that the feather has not grown back but it never affected it's ability to fly, breed and his homing instinct is great. I don't race but I have flown him from about 100 miles and this includes over the ocean flight and mountains to cover his sight to home.

here's a pic.. take a good look at the top of his head that look like white feathers is actually a bald spot.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yes they were pecked from one of my cock birds. I was wondering if the feathers would grow in, and if they would home the same as if this did not happen.
As I said to my first post, Wash the open wound and treat it with Bacitracin for minor cuts and burn or whatever it is use for, that's what I use to 3 of my YB's last year and the feathers grew and like nothing happen to them...Make sure separate them for a week or two to heal the wound...When they devour my YB's, I can actually feel the skull of the birds and the eyes are UGH! :mad: like it won't open anymore...Treat it with the ointment until it dries up and turn into scab...I train mine to trap while they have scabs on their head but of course I got to separate them once they fly in ...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I hope it'll heal like brand new...How is your set-up in the loft? Are these YB's fly down and can't fly back up? Normally, for what I know, when the YB's are old enough they are able to fly down/up or fly away from bully birds...I know I mix mine with OB's (got good reason about it and not an excuse), I had this incident 3 years ago and I've learn a valuable lesson...NEVER leave the squeaker with the OB's unless you know they can fly or run away from them...

By the way Eric you got a lovely hen there...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This happend to a couple squeekers that fell out of their nest box. The parents were feeding them on the floor. I came home from work to find the two little ones scalped. It realy upset me. I think I found out who was doing this. I have a cock bird he is a Staff Van Reet and real aggressive. I think he was a little uptight because he was the only bird with no mate. So I went and got him a mate she has been in the loft less than a week and they are already mating. So far no fight or scalping.:) Thanks again for the info and your time.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
This happend to a couple squeekers that fell out of their nest box. The parents were feeding them on the floor. I came home from work to find the two little ones scalped. It realy upset me. I think I found out who was doing this. I have a cock bird he is a Staff Van Reet and real aggressive. I think he was a little uptight because he was the only bird with no mate. So I went and got him a mate she has been in the loft less than a week and they are already mating. So far no fight or scalping.:) Thanks again for the info and your time.
Never a good idea to have odd birds. ESPECIALLY odd cock birds.........that's good you got him a mate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I got this Van Reet and was going to race him, But the guy I got him from advised me to keep him for a breeder. So thats how I ended up with an odd ball. He is tied up now with calling her to his nest.:D

·
Registered
790 Posts
By the way Eric you got a lovely hen there...
It's a Cock... Baron

I've got another that was scalped since it's parents built their nest on the floor. It was really bad so I decided to move it with another pair of babies and it's foster parent is doing a great job raising both their babies and the foster baby.

Here's a pic of the three babies

Here's a close up of the wound now... looking good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.