Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do homers eventually calm down or become less skittish?? i got birdslocally from a guy to use to breed from and now a little after a month i finally have them in a loft where i am able to be inside, interact, and catch/hold them without fear of them getting loose out doors. my question is they seem terrified of me! do they become accustomed to being around people/picked up/held?? i have a couple pairs of fantails that i dont believe ever got alot of one on one attention or people socializing that seem much more calm and complacent with being touched/held

just wondering if its a time thing? after seeing me day in and day out inside the loft,feeding and cleaning if they will get to the point where its not chaos when i walk towards them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
do homers eventually calm down or become less skittish?? i got birdslocally from a guy to use to breed from and now a little after a month i finally have them in a loft where i am able to be inside, interact, and catch/hold them without fear of them getting loose out doors. my question is they seem terrified of me! do they become accustomed to being around people/picked up/held?? i have a couple pairs of fantails that i dont believe ever got alot of one on one attention or people socializing that seem much more calm and complacent with being touched/held

just wondering if its a time thing? after seeing me day in and day out inside the loft,feeding and cleaning if they will get to the point where its not chaos when i walk towards them.

Thanks!
To let you know, all they want from you is food. they also enjoy the things you can provide like bath water, a clean loft and nesting materials. holding and being close not so much! they are pray animals which means hands can seem like claws, staring can seems like stalking. they are genetically wired to survive and that is by being jumpy and alert, they do it automatically even before thinking so don't feel bad. we humans tend to want to touch hold cuddle for our own enjoyment, a pigeon can care less, they have their own dynamic in the flock and with their mate. I do think though they get used to the keeper and his feeding schdule and are not as flighty after many months.. when you raise some at your loft those birds proably won't be as flighty as they were hatched there, also holding while still in the nest can help. but they seem to be happy not being touched or stressed in that way. I like my birds the way they are and don't feel a need to see them as a cat or dog that one would want to cuddle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that is a pretty good logical explanation of their mindset/instincts,im not looking for a companion animal in them, i know that most animals arent. i am just hopefully that theyll become accustomed to me being in there, like i said im not expecting them to seek out affection but more so become complacent with the fact that im there and will pick them up.

i read that fan tails are known for being more docile in this aspect and wondered if maybe fancy/show pigeons (of various breeds) were more of a direction i should go in opposed to homers, or if with time (or a fresh start with young that were born here) would yield the results im hoping for,

im not opposed to keeping both and having different birds to serve different purposes but the chaos when im in there is unnerving and something i really hope calms down

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
thanks that is a pretty good logical explanation of their mindset/instincts,im not looking for a companion animal in them, i know that most animals arent. i am just hopefully that theyll become accustomed to me being in there, like i said im not expecting them to seek out affection but more so become complacent with the fact that im there and will pick them up.

i read that fan tails are known for being more docile in this aspect and wondered if maybe fancy/show pigeons (of various breeds) were more of a direction i should go in opposed to homers, or if with time (or a fresh start with young that were born here) would yield the results im hoping for,

im not opposed to keeping both and having different birds to serve different purposes but the chaos when im in there is unnerving and something i really hope calms down
with time it will. mine were crazy at first, it took a good part of 6 months for them to know I was not a big monster coming in. using food as a reward can help, don't over feed them, and use a feed call. when you use the call they will expect food and that can get them used to you being the bearer of good things. they will never be calm with the fact of being picked up, they simply do not like it, so why push it? most birds will be calm after being caught if held correctly to inspect its wings or color or take a picture or feel it's weight, that is most done by race hobbiest, not the average pigeon pet owner. treats and food are really what they would pay attention to.

·
Registered
287 Posts
From my obseravtions, pigeons like certainty. Feed them the same time every day. Talk to them while you feed so they become familiar with your voice. Catch one or two(gently, no grabbing or fast movements) each time you go in the loft. Walk slowly aroung the feed trays while they are eating(they will become acustomed to your movements). If you don't wear a hat and then one day show up in the loft with a hat on they will think that's strange. Same with something like sunglasses. They do notice differences.Eventually they will know that you are just another fixture in the loft, just one that comes and goes.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Some race birds Are more the wild type and never settle down. It is a bred in Quality in some lines of birds about being more/ trusting. AND as a rule most show bred birds Are handled more and there young are more tame also. But race birds that have been in part selected as tamer types are plenty. So it becomes your choice Try to handle the birds and aproach them calmly.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I have a loft of rescues, and have racers, fantails, rollers, ferals, etc. Many are wild when they come in, but most do get used to us, and come to us for treats. Some were very wild, but when I walk in, they fly to me. It takes patience, and giving them their space. They don't like to be picked up, as they prefer for it to be their idea. They like the freedom to be able to come to you, not the other way around. I don't necessarily think that handling adult birds who aren't friendly, will make them any friendlier. Handling babies.....................yes. But the adults you have to win over. They need to be able to trust you, and know that you won't harm them. Some will never calm down, but that's okay. Can't win every one. But most do. My magic weapon is chopped unsalted peanuts. They won't normally take them right away, as they have no idea of what they are. So I mix some in their feed, and eventually, they will try them. Once they do, I have never known a pigeon who didn't love them. When you then break out the container of peanuts, they will flock to you. Eventually, they just get comfortable with you and you won't bother them at all. But it takes time. Some are fairly easy to tame up, others have taken a couple of years, but most do get there. If a bird won't eat them from my hand, I just put them on his perch. He doesn't have to come to me. He/she will when they are ready and have learned to trust me. The ones that don't..........well that's okay. They're fun and very smart, and most turn pesky after they get comfortable with you. Some breeds are more docile than others, but any breed will usually eventually come around, if given time and patience. Don't force it though, or you just take 2 steps backwards. They are birds, not dogs. And any relationship you build with them, is up to them, and on their terms, not yours. Given enough time, you will be able to enjoy them just for being what they are...................amazing little creatures, each with their own personality.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My secret, peanuts. If you go into the loft everyday and handout a few peanuts, the birds really look forward to seeing you. However,some will still be more timid than others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts