Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've never posted on one of these boards before, but my experience in caring for a sick/injured pigeon yesterday has prompted me to write. Yesterday, while making my way home through my city's downtown area, a pigeon suddenly fell out of the sky at my feet and proceeded to roll around, flapping what I assumed to be a broken wing (I'm not really knowledgeable about birds), finally landing on his back unable to right him/herself. I went into the closest shop I could find and asked to use their telephone. I called the local animal services group and they said they's be "right there." In the meantime, we put the poor thing in an open box with a shirt to cussion it. I offered the bird some water but he did not drink. For the short time it took for them to arrive, he seemed mostly ok (agitated, yes, but seemingly accepting of his plight). Then, a few minutes before they arrived, I looked in on him and found him not moving. To my shock, sadness and horror, he had died. Naturally, I presumed he had died of shock, fear, etc, but now I'm not so sure. In his terror, seemingly, he defecated in the box, leaving a slimy, green, gelatinous stuff. I also noticed he had (maybe it's normal) white crusties around his eyes. Other than that, he seemed plump, finely feathered ... in other words, just another one of the city's vast pigeon population.

My question is, or rather are, from what I have written, was it just a broken wing? and the experience of being picked up, handled and placed in a box by humans enough to frighten him to death?
Could he possibly have some bird disease about which I should be aware? Am I at risk (I didn't have gloves, so I just picked him up with my hands)?

·
Registered
822 Posts
1st, welcome to pigeon Talk. Thanks for trying to help this bird. No doubt, your GUDKARMA is still in tact.

Others will be along who have more knowledge, but my instinct tells me that the bird was sick. Firstly, wings don't just break (did you see any predators around?), birds don't just "fall from the sky", and the poops are suspicious. Poops should be well formed, usually brownish in color, and with a white "center". I don't believe the poop was a result of terror. That is a natural bodily function, likely to occur with any animal, when the physical systems shut down. Also, pigeons (and other birds) are frequently rescued without significant ill effect from being handled by humans. You absolutely did the right thing!!!! Rest assured that you did not cause the bird to die.

As for your own well being - - - you are safe, though I presume you practiced good hygiene and washed your hands. It does sound like he was a sick bird but we are more likely to pass things on to them than the other way around.

You did good!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Thanks for trying to help. Indeed....I would agree that it certainly didn't perish because of being confined to the box. The wing was probably broken as the result of the fall. The fall likely resulted as a result of being sick or injured already...who really knows ?

Indeed, there are some animals (certain breeds of rabbits for example) who, upon being too overwhelmed and stressed in a given situation, simply die. But pigeons aren't one of those animals...they are fighters to the very end and they cling to life dearly....so, I can tell you he didn't pass because you found him and tried to help.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
I have seen that description of pigeons just seeming to fall out of the sky before, and that was in relation to having been poisoned. The rolling about could possibly indicate a reaction to poison, too. If you don't see any more, maybe it was 'just' illness, but otherwise it will be suspicious.

John

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have seen that description of pigeons just seeming to fall out of the sky before, and that was in relation to having been poisoned. The rolling about could possibly indicate a reaction to poison, too. If you don't see any more, maybe it was 'just' illness, but otherwise it will be suspicious.

John

I would guess poisoning also
the rolling around part is what makes me lean toward that

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for caring for this poor pigeon, at least he died in a safe place feeling sheltered. :eek: It sounds like some cases of poisoning I've heard of too. I hope it's not. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.