Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here´s the situation:
I have a pair of free-flying fantails in my garden. A couple of months ago I started to notice that the neighbous cats r wondering around in our garden. They poo everywhere to mark territory and I´m a bit worried that they sooner or later will chase my doves. Talking to the neighbours is a big no,no since I don´t know whom the cats (3 different) belongs too.
Any ideas on how to chase them away? I heard about showering them with water, that they don´t like the smell off caffe and black pepper, any more ideas? :) To make a long story short, I want to get rid of the damn cats ´cause I don´t want them in my garden!
I live in Sweden by the way if that would matter... :D
/Csilla

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Basically the water pistol is quite effective, it is what my vet recommends. One of my cats used to go into the garden next door, I used to deter her with a water pistol and she understood so well that she came back to my garden when I did it.

There are also products that you can sprinkle on the borders to your garden but I don't know whether they are effective or remain effective after rais, I have also used holy leaves under bushes to prevent cats from lying in wit for birds.

Feefo

·
Registered
890 Posts
My large German Shepherd dog does not like pigeons. If he sees one in the loft window he rears up on the loft wall and tries to get to them. I've scolded him repeatedly but it doe not deter him in the least. I think he is just jealous of them or does it to aggravate me. For some reason he got the idea that if he crawled underneath the loft floor he could get to the pigeons. He crawled underneath the loft floor and could not get out. Panic set set in immediately, thoughts of calling the fire department for help or taking a reciprocating saw and cutting a hole in the loft floor flashed across my mind. Instead I tried digging him out with shovel but the ground was too hard and my left arm was useless because of an injury. Finally I was able to get him out by removing the underpinning at the side of the loft. I then closed off the back of the loft with some poultry netting so that he could not crawl underneath.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Here, we can legally trap feral cats, in humane traps (live traps), and take them to the humane society (pound).
Even if it is your neighbors cat, it Strayed on to your property.
There are leash laws for dogs AND cats.
If the cat owners want to continue to pay fines on their pets, I say let em! :D
I knew a woman that set up a state registered song bird habitat in her Front yard, in a major city!, and told all of her neighbors that if their cats, or any stray cats for that matter, ventured into it, that they would be trapped and turned in. It's all perfectly legal, and state registered. :cool:
She even had a sign in front that said No Cats Allowed! :D
She said that she really got sick and tired of seeing cats kill song birds at the feeders in her yard.

I have 2 dogs that do the job for me.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I know how frustrating that is. My urban neighborhood is overrun with feral cats. It seems like every time I step outside I see two more. Our yard is full of poo and the songbirds don't come near here. The males frequently urinate on our front door and it stinks to high heaven.

I love cats and we have two of them, but we keep them indoors where they are safe. I really feel sorry for those feral cats, but they are a big fat nuisance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts