Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 4 month old pigeon named Taylor who had a severe case of pox at two weeks old that left her beak deformed. (similar to a scissor beak) I tube feed her 25ccs of Kaytee Exact QID. She is un-able to pick up seed on her own, although she tries. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that could help? I will post a picture of her soon. She is keeping a steady weight at 330 grams and the pox has cleared up for now.

Also how gradual should I give seed? I hand fed her 20 seeds from my pigeon mix, ranging in size from milo to field peas and about an hour and a half after I fed her she threw up the seeds. My vet said it was dangerous to give seed and Exact at the same time, so I've just been giving the Exact for now. She is able to drink on her own and loves feeding time, she flies to me as soon as she sees me pick up her syringe!
I'm worried more pox may show up, my vet just removed a lesion from under her eye the size of a soy bean. I know pox isn't curable but if anyone can offer suggestions on what they have done for their birds with pox it would be very helpful. I love Taylor dearly, and want to do anything I can for her. She goes everywhere with me and LOVES attention. She's preening my eyelashes as I write this :)
Thank you!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her pox is pretty much all gone for now, she only has two left on her legs/feet that are black and dry. Thank you though, its good to know that them falling off is normal!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
A photo will help determine how bad the scissoring is. Our Piglet has a scissored beak, he was a squab with pox and canker when we found him. He is 6 years old now, his upper beak needs trimming occasionally (that can be done safely with a battery run nail file, it is so easy to cause the upper beak to bleed...the lower beak should not be trimmed.) and he eats from deep pots,

We also have a pigeon with no lower beak, he finds it easiest to eat by jumping into a bucket of food. :)

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I had a dove with severely scissored beak and a pigeon with no lower part of the beak. They both were able to eat out of deep bowls. Give it a try.

Reti

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i also don't think it's dangerous to feed exact and seeds at the same time unless she is really full, for the babies i raise they get exact and seeds all the time.
i would try the deep crock very full with seeds , if she is still regurgitating them there may be something else going with her, unless she is regurg for you because she thinks your her mate.
how about thawed frozen corn and peas in a deep crock? it may be easier for her to pick them up

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Pidge-girl,
Pox is not curable in a sense that you give supportive care and no medication. Once over, bird will recover soon and gain immunity for life. I don't know what and why your Vet will remove liaison under eye; as it will fall down once dry by itself. It is no good to force remove them unless a bird is unable to breath or feed.
As per seeds/formula feeding, I would suggest to feed formula in the morning and seeds in the afternoon. Place seeds in a deep dish so s/he can peck and play until starts eating alone.
When you post a picture I may be able to give advice on correction, but yes in most cases it is possible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the replies!!

his upper beak needs trimming occasionally (that can be done safely with a battery run nail file, it is so easy to cause the upper beak to bleed...the lower beak should not be trimmed.)
We found out the hard way with trimming the lower beak... my vet in Texas before I came back home trimmed her beak and the bottom began to bleed so much that she had to cauterize it, but before she did poor little Taylor swallowed and aspirated on her own blood then had to be put on a low dose of TMS for a week because her breathing sounded so wet :(
The problem is her upper beak is in the right placement (but has grown too long) and her lower beak grows sideways and is really soft. her tongue is sticking out all the time too but luckily it doesn't dry out, and I clean inside her beak after every feed.

I had a pigeon years ago who had a slight scissored beak and i trimmed the top part every couple months and it worked great, but I need to get a picture of Taylor on here.. I tried the deep dish but she never dips her whole beak in.. she tries to go for one seed at a time and can never pick it up :(

Thank you though, I will never let a vet trim her bottom beak again :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i also don't think it's dangerous to feed exact and seeds at the same time unless she is really full, for the babies i raise they get exact and seeds all the time.
i would try the deep crock very full with seeds , if she is still regurgitating them there may be something else going with her, unless she is regurg for you because she thinks your her mate.
She does think I'm her mate, partly because I spend so much time with her, and also because I have to keep her away from all other pigeons...and we preen each others faces haha

So I thought that too, but one time she threw up in her net cage during the night. The seeds were huge and puffy and soft enough to smear into a paste, but for some reason she still regurgitated them.. I wondered if it was because she was already 2 months old and that was the first time she had ever gotten seeds so her body didn't know what to do with them.
And also I didn't mix any grit with the seeds i set in her beak, (her lower beak grows out sideways so its easy to set a seed at a time on it and she swallows it herself) is it ok to just set grit in her beak??

Thank you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Pidge-girl,
Pox is not curable in a sense that you give supportive care and no medication. Once over, bird will recover soon and gain immunity for life. I don't know what and why your Vet will remove liaison under eye; as it will fall down once dry by itself. It is no good to force remove them unless a bird is unable to breath or feed.
As per seeds/formula feeding, I would suggest to feed formula in the morning and seeds in the afternoon. Place seeds in a deep dish so s/he can peck and play until starts eating alone.
When you post a picture I may be able to give advice on correction, but yes in most cases it is possible.
The pox that was below her eye kept getting bigger by the day and yellowish stuff started coming out of her ear and it smelt really sour and changed even the smell of her breath so i was worried it may have been growing thru to her throat and i didn't want to risk her suffocating because she has already been on medication for her breathing before and i thought i was gonna lose her then :(

Also the lesion was right where i had to put my thumb when tubing her and she was really tender and squirmed around alot because it was hard to keep her still when i didn't want to put pressure on the lump.
She has recovered well from it now and only needed a few sutures.

I keep a deep dish in there with her at all times but she has almost lost interest in trying now.. But she LOVES feeding time more then anything and wiggles around just like a baby every time she sees the syringe and I wake up to her little begging coos every morning!

She's had a rough life for only 4 months old :(
but thanks everyone! your input is appreciated!!!!
Taylor says thanks too! :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Upper mandible is overgrown and lower is skew.
Check this link to get some idea of the procedure.
http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org/WLR/Xbeak.html
Applying pressure on the lower mandible (rubber band) and using mixture of olive oil and lemon juice to soften and heal beak may help. Check with jour Vet this as he can make much better examination then me from this picture.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
When I looked at this picture, I almost fell off my chair. I have a chicken that looks just like this. She eats out of the side of her mouth. She does have some trouble but she gets it sooner or later. One time she had a sore bump, a wart like by the side of her mouth and she couldn't eat, so I had to had feed her for several weeks but that cleared up and she is eating now. I hand fed her dog food and cat food, because it would have taken me all day to feed her chicken pellets. Plus chickens will eat anything. It does help to have a deep dish. I feel so bad that the vet didn't know NOT to cut the bottom beak. Poor girl. I mean I'm not a vet and even I know that. I have cut the top beak because it will keep growing and it started to curl under so I cut a little at a time and you can tell underneath where you should stop. Glad you haven't gave up on her and I'm sure you won't. Actually my hen is my oldest hen I have. I have had her 7, maybe 8 years. Don't get anymore eggs but thats okay. min

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I looked at this picture, I almost fell off my chair. I have a chicken that looks just like this. She eats out of the side of her mouth. She does have some trouble but she gets it sooner or later. One time she had a sore bump, a wart like by the side of her mouth and she couldn't eat, so I had to had feed her for several weeks but that cleared up and she is eating now. I hand fed her dog food and cat food, because it would have taken me all day to feed her chicken pellets. Plus chickens will eat anything. It does help to have a deep dish. I feel so bad that the vet didn't know NOT to cut the bottom beak. Poor girl. I mean I'm not a vet and even I know that. I have cut the top beak because it will keep growing and it started to curl under so I cut a little at a time and you can tell underneath where you should stop. Glad you haven't gave up on her and I'm sure you won't. Actually my hen is my oldest hen I have. I have had her 7, maybe 8 years. Don't get anymore eggs but thats okay. min
I tried the deep dish a lot, but her thing with that is she only aims for one particular seed at a time then tries forever just on that one. I've tried dipping her beak in it like I do when training squabs to drink water the first time, but she just shakes her head back then continues to go for the same seed.
She spent her first 3 months at a wildlife center in Texas (where I was an intern at the time) and we tried some different methods but none seemed to work :(
I just don't know if extended use of Exact is ok for them.
Thank you for all you did for that chicken! While I was at the center last summer we got a hen in that had been bit by a snake and her entire face swelled up and her feathers came off her head and neck and her eyes swelled closed, I had to train her to peck the ground where I was tapping with my finger to know where food was because she couldn't see anything. She recovered fine, but its crazy these poor animals have to go thru so much. I'm just glad there's people like us out there for them :)
And you're right, I'll never give up on Taylor <3 I love her :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i'm glad there is people like us out there to! good job on taking care of her all this time.
i'm sure the exact is fine, i would keep offering food in deep crocks every day, hopefully sooner or later she will get it, you have a long road ahead of you if you have to hand feed her for her entire life.
you may have to give in to some tough love for her to figure out how to feed herself.
it may be worth a surgery if that beak can be improved, from an economical standpoint, considering how much your spending on exact plus time and independence is worth something.
you can also do some corn and pea popping to give her a bit of a variety of food

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's been no problem time-wise to take care of her because since I've had her I've either been working at the clinic she originally was brought to, so they let me take breaks from all the other animals i was caring for every time it was her feeding time, and I lived on property of the center and started work 6am everyday so I was always there with her, except when I would need to go rescue an animal away from the center, but there was vet staff there that could feed her if needed. And now I'm back home for the holidays, so I'm in a spare bedroom where she's able to be loose and I can spend most of the day with her.. it's just when real life begins again and I need to look for a new job (the one at the clinic was just a 6 month internship) I guess I'll need to use all this time I have with her now to really try and get her to figure it out.
The only thing that worries me still is she regurgitates the seed if i hand feed it to her. even in small amounts :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would try to give her frozen peas or corn, thawed of course. It sounds like a great internship, to bad you can't do it for another 6 months or longer, it sounds like you really enjoy it. I will take a picture of my chicken tomorrow. Its unbelievable how alike they look. Mine will also focus on one corn or pellet but after about 50 tries she will go find another. I also bring her out oatmeal, or potatoes anything mushy so she can eat it with less trouble. It probably much easier with chickens because they will eat anything. They are little garbage disposals. Ask them if you can feed her some dog food or cat food, soaked in water first to make it a little soft and see if you can feed your little taylor some of that. I don't know for sure, thats why I want others to say yes or no. That way she can get more nutrients in her crop and it won't take as long because they are alittle bigger. BUt if seeds are making her sick, then I would stop that for a day or so and see what others have to say on it. I mean it can't be fun for her to throw up seeds. min

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't hand fed her seeds since I left Texas 2 weeks ago, there it was ok because there was a vet on call 24 hours a day and all free to me, but now that I'm back home the nearest vet that will see a pigeon is 3 towns away.
Pigeons are seed eaters, so I don't think I want to give her dog or cat food because that may upset her tummy as well.. I will try the thawed peas and corn, just a few to see if she can keep them down.
Haha I always love feeding my chickens! They really will eat just about anything.
Can't wait to see the picture of your hen!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Scissor peak/pox pigeon

Hi... sorry for the poor pigeon... but thank goodness you are taking good care of her. She looks like she is really a pretty pigeon... Best of luck...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i don't understand why seeds would make her sick, it's very strange.
what about pigeon pellets or even game or parrot pellets?? they may be easier for her to pick up

1 - 20 of 50 Posts