Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought 3 doves, one who is a hen from last year and a pair from this year who are very much in love, however the older hen has decided to start stripping her (the young birds) feathers, almost as if she was shearing away at her with a pair of scissors. Now I thought what to do was to gain a one year old cock bird, to pair her of with. Will this stop her demonising my poor baby hen? Also whats the best way to introduce them. Should I keep him in a separate cage at first???
Also Ive had a terrible day, locked my keys in the boot/trunk car etc ....please help

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
My experience with Doves is that there are problems when a third bird is added to a cage with a mated pair. After a time, even off spring need to be separated from the parents.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I brought 3 doves, one who is a hen from last year and a pair from this year who are very much in love, however the older hen has decided to start stripping her (the young birds) feathers, almost as if she was shearing away at her with a pair of scissors. Now I thought what to do was to gain a one year old cock bird, to pair her of with. Will this stop her demonising my poor baby hen? Also whats the best way to introduce them. Should I keep him in a separate cage at first???
Also Ive had a terrible day, locked my keys in the boot/trunk car etc ....please help
Sound's like you have a dominate hen, she does'nt want to play second fiddle to nobody. I think your right, get her a cock bird.
If you have two cage's, put them close togeteher to introduce them. You'll see by watching wether they get along... if not you may just have a very antisocial bird. At that point you have to decide wether to put her into solitary, or keep trying to find a mate that suit's her.
Funny how pigeon's and human's are alike. LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that i put him in late last night, he's taken the top platform in the dovecote and she is constantly aware of his presence also she seem's to be flirting..heres hoping, she has never settled on the dove cote before, but today she has taken the second, hole dwn and preemed herself crazy..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the hen has now decided that merlin is a whimp, and refuses to let the other birds(3), get near the food, i have no idea what to do!!, she keeps throwing out the food and settling quite nicely thankyou very much in the feed bowl, this cou;d cost a fortune

1 - 5 of 5 Posts