Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning when I went to the market I found this lovely youngster, he seemed lost and stood in the middle of the road. His feathers it looks pretty dirty, unhealthy and I noticed that often sneezes.

The problem is that it has scissor beak and also overgrowth beak and certainly he can not feed themselves. I fed him by hand with some brad and cooked rice and I’m going to cook some corn bread.

He weighs 270 grams.

Dana

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also I put some pictures of his poops. For me do not seem to look good and I'm not sure what is best for him to start him right now: Cipro or Trimethoprim/Sulfa. I'll give him metronidazole as well.

Thanks,

Dana

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Can you give him seeds instead of bread? Looks like the little guy is starved and bread is only a filler, he needs more nutritional food. It is very hard for him to feed with his beak, but you can ty a deep bowl. Had one like this and he could eat fine out of a deep bowl.
Also watch him for signs of illness, see if the sneezing continues.
What are you gonna do with him? With his beak he won't be able to survive outdoors on his own.

Reti

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Our "Piglet" has same beak problem. His was forced out of alignment when a squeaker, by Canker and Pox. Top has to be trimmed every few weeks. When it is trimmed back, he can eat fine even though his beak is scissored.

This one of yours may have a Canker problem, and if that caused the beak to be pushed out then it will be obvious in the mouth.

Sounds very undernourished (not surprisingly) which will have a bearing on the poops. Plenty of mixed corn or pigeon mix or dove mix.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Dana, they keep coming your way :D. I would go ahead and run a course of the Trimethoprim/Sulfa (0.20cc, 10mg) twice a day and the Metronidazole (0.20cc, 10mg) twice a day for a week. Doing this will help us treat a few things that could cause his beak to mis-align, as well treat him for cocci and any possible developing respiratory infection. I would also start him on the vitamins you used before on your other rescues in case any vitamin deficiencies are contributing to his beak not forming right.

While at 270g he is undernourished and light, it's not an alarming weight, so he will not need the intensive case some found youngsters need when they they are just skin and bone. As suggested start him out with a deep dish of seeds and you can supplement like you have done before with the corn bread (Reti the corn bread is a recipe I gave Dana last year of corn meal, eggs and olive oil to add weight to another youngster and it worked well for her).

Also, since this bird is still quite young, if you remember I gave you some instructions for Robin in how to try and correct her beak alignment that scissored after her canker. I think it would be worthwhile starting the same therapy on this little one's beak, as I think over the weeks or even a month or two, you can help bring about a better final result in where this beak will end up by doing so. I don't think it will be "normal" again, but we should make the effort to see if we can help it have a better shape and form if we can. As mentioned, always very gentle and you could do some on the lower beak as well, as it is curving out of alignment as well.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies.

Yes Karyn, I remember the therapy for try and correct Robin's beak, I will begin to work with him easily. Also I will start him on Trimethoprim/Sulfa and Metronidazole.

Keep you informed,

Dana

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi Dana,

He should be able to eat small whole Seeds ( such as a Canary or Finch Mix ) from a deep enough Cup, such as a regular 6 or 8 Ounce flat Bottom short ( 3 inch high ) Coffee Cup.

I have a few who have damaged and old injury Scissor Beaks, or a top Beak which is only half the right length, and this is what they do.

He may need a little practice and support to learn to do this, especially if he has so far been getting by on scooping whatever sorts of food bits up off the ground using a sideways motion or other...as I doubt he would have been able to peck Seeds like this in the Wild.

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hello Dana,

I'm always interested in posts on pigeons with beak problems, since I rescued a female ("Splitbeak") with a badly-damaged beak, and posted about her.

Repeat of an earlier post:

Thanks for helping this pigeon.

If interested, you can read my posts on Splitbeak, who had the same problem. Use "splitbeak" as keyword in search.

There are other issues involved with a damaged or missing beak, besides eating, such as preening.

Posts numbers 65 and 66

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/rsp...ight=splitbeak
Larry

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He manages to eat small seeds but eat only from my hand, I fill my palm with seeds and so manages to catch the seeds with beak. He does not want to eat from bowls and is very frightened when he sees the bowl. For the moment I'll let him eat as he wants.

Otherwise, is quite lively and peep all the time, missing many feathers, especially on the chest and under the wings. The chest is completely bald.

Yesterday when I got him home I thought it best to begin to feed him with soft food because I did not know what the problem is with him. From the experience we had so far with sick birds I learned that I need to start with easily digestible food until I figure out if the bird has any disease and if have trouble digesting.
Now he eat small seeds and gradually will learn to eat large seeds.

Dana

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
He manages to eat small seeds but eat only from my hand, I fill my palm with seeds and so manages to catch the seeds with beak. He does not want to eat from bowls and is very frightened when he sees the bowl. For the moment I'll let him eat as he wants.

Otherwise, is quite lively and peep all the time, missing many feathers, especially on the chest and under the wings. The chest is completely bald.

Yesterday when I got him home I thought it best to begin to feed him with soft food because I did not know what the problem is with him. From the experience we had so far with sick birds I learned that I need to start with easily digestible food until I figure out if the bird has any disease and if have trouble digesting.
Now he eat small seeds and gradually will learn to eat large seeds.

Dana
Dana, thanks for the update. Yes, it's good to feed him seeds from your hands, as it gives them the knowledge of what it feels liike to have seeds in their mouth, and to swallow and eat them of course. If you can set him up so he sees other birds eating seeds from dishes, this may help him, in any event, I don't think it will be too long before he settles down and figures out how to eat the seeds from a deep dish on his own.

Good job,

Karyn

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, I think it will quickly learn to eat from the bowl that is very responsive. Today he learned to drink water from the cup.

I put a plastic bowl with water and he bathed.
I'm sorry for him that has feathers so ugly and seems so uncared but is quite friendly. Today he met with Coko and sat together at the window:).

Thanks,

Dana

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Yes, I think it will quickly learn to eat from the bowl that is very responsive. Today he learned to drink water from the cup.

I put a plastic bowl with water and he bathed.
I'm sorry for him that has feathers so ugly and seems so uncared but is quite friendly. Today he met with Coko and sat together at the window:).

Thanks,

Dana
The feathers, as you know, will improve in time, he looks like Piu did when you first got him and now Piu is a beautiful grown bird :). I am sure he is happy for the company of Coko for the time being and Coko will help him learn quicker, but don't leave him with Coko unsupervised, as sometimes males can be quite territorial and when don't want him beating up on your new little one (name?).

Karyn

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Karyn, I have not found a name yet:D. We must think these days a name. My daughter wants to call him Cipy, in memory of Cipy......but we think aboute this.

Absolutely, I do not leave him unattended when is with Coko.
And yes you are right that Piu was ugly feathers, but this bird has feathers more ugly and dirty than Piu's. But I'm sure the ugly duckling will turn into a beautiful prince. I"ll make him a handsome bird:D.

Dana

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Karyn, I have not found a name yet:D. We must think these days a name. My daughter wants to call him Cipy, in memory of Cipy......but we think aboute this.

Absolutely, I do not leave him unattended when is with Coko.
And yes you are right that Piu was ugly feathers, but this bird has feathers more ugly and dirty than Piu's. But I'm sure the ugly duckling will turn into a beautiful prince. I"ll make him a handsome bird:D.

Dana
Part of it is that because of the scissor beak he can not preen his feathers as well as if his beak were normal, but he will learn to compensate for this and your therapy, over time, may make things line up better. I did like the name Cipy and if this would please your daughter, to honor Cipy, then it may be something you should consider. In any event, let her chose the name this time, what ever you decide, as I think she would liek to do this :).

Karyn

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, my daughter chose the name Pipo. Pipo is a penguin, fairy-tale for children. Will call him Pipo if it is male and if it is female then will be called Pipa.
She thought it was too painful the name Cipy. Moreover that my daughter began to cry every time she hear the name Cipy... so I think Pipo is a nice name:)
His poops started to look better, today he began to be familiar with bowl of seeds and slowly starts to eat from the bowl.

Karyn, you know about how old is he and do you think he was born with its beak scissors? I noticed that his upper beak is too curved/bent and that's why can not stay in line with the lower beak. The lower beak tip is bent to one side opposite the upper beak. However it is very difficult to correct or bring it closer to normal because the upper beak is too curved.

Dana

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
OK, my daughter chose the name Pipo. Pipo is a penguin, fairy-tale for children. Will call him Pipo if it is male and if it is female then will be called Pipa.
She thought it was too painful the name Cipy. Moreover that my daughter began to cry every time she hear the name Cipy... so I think Pipo is a nice name:)
His poops started to look better, today he began to be familiar with bowl of seeds and slowly starts to eat from the bowl.

Karyn, you know about how old is he and do you think he was born with its beak scissors? I noticed that his upper beak is too curved/bent and that's why can not stay in line with the lower beak. The lower beak tip is bent to one side opposite the upper beak. However it is very difficult to correct or bring it closer to normal because the upper beak is too curved.

Dana
Glad you let your daughter chose the name and also come to the conclusion herself to chose a different name and a good one :). I would guess the age of Pipo to be about 7 weeks old. I don't think it's beak was scissored when born, but became that way as he grew. As mentioned, it could be an infection that has caused this or it could be a small injury in the nest to the beak area that caused it to start to mis-align or perhaps nutritional deficiencies as well. Just take you time with the therapy, not overdoing things in any way, and I think, in time, you will slowly be able to remodel the top and bottom beak into a better alignment ans shape. This will be a long process and you may not being to notice an improvement for weeks, be patient and persistent.

Glad he is settling in a bit and his droppings are starting to look better.

Karyn

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Some news aboute Pippo. He is doing very well, manages to eat from deep dish without problems.
We make beak exercise daily but do not see any improvement. I do not think it will solve something with his beak because the upper beak is arched and long and do not see how they would align in time. It is a good idea to cut the top beak?- but I guess it will just grow again.

Anyway I made some new pictures and can see how it looks now his beak.

Dana

1 - 20 of 25 Posts