Pigeon-Talk banner

Scissored Beak Correction?

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Dobato 
#1 ·
Hi,

I had posted this question previously in another thread about this bird but had no replies.
I'm posting again in it's own thread as I don't want to have missed an opportunity to help this bird's beak if it is possible.

This Woodie juvenile came to me with severe canker and has responded well so far and the canker is reducing. However it's beak is deformed and as it's still not developed it's adult coloured beak I wondered if there was anything I could do to correct the misallignment.
If not I fear the bird will be unreleasable and so I'd need to start looking for a permanent home.

Since I took this picture the gap doesn't seem quite as big but I think the top beak is starting to curve downwards. If anything it would be a lot better for feeding if only the beak was more aligned.
Can anything be done to help?

Janet

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Janet, while no expert on this, I can give you a few thoughts. First is to make sure the canker is over and fully dealt with. The second is if the canker has not destroyed or eaten away parts of the maxilla (upper beak) or mandible (lower beak) and has just distorted the aliment from remodeling by the force the canker was placing in the areas. You may be able to remodel the beak back to better alignment by grasping the lower beak, supporting it at the side with your thumb and then use your forefinger to slowly bring the beak back to proper alignment.

It may take doing this a number of weeks where you hold the lower beak, gently bend it to correct position, hold it there for a 10 seconds and release and repeat. Use your best judgment when starting that you don't make things worse by trying to pull too far, too hard or too long, take your time. You must use your thumb placed at the corner of the mouth to offer good support for the direction you are pulling to, in this case thumb to the corner of the left side, then pulling the mandible right to align. Gently massage the corner area of the right to loosen up things on that side so the area is willing to give and stretch a bit better as well.

Karyn

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you so much Karyn for your advice.

I'm pleased you said that as I have tried to do that a little bit but only occasionally as I didn't know if I was doing the right thing, so I will certainly give that a go on a regular basis in the way you described to see if I can persuade it to a better position. That's encouraging to know it might do some good.

The main bulk of canker has gone but I can still see some new bits forming in the lining of his throat which I wipe with Flagyl topically aswell as his normal oral dose, so he's still on meds at the moment. He's been on that for 12days now.

I was advised to medicate with Flagyl for 14 days. Should I continue for longer if the canker reappears or is that the maximum I can treat with that?

Janet

#4 ·
Janet, you instincts were good, just be sure, as I mentioned, you are very delicate with everything, as the canker could have weakened things to an unknown extent.

With the canker, could you tell me what the oral dose of the Metronidazole is you are currently giving. Also, if you have been giving it over 4 days and new lesions continue to form, you have to consider the strain you are dealing with may be resistant to the Metronidazole, to an unknown extent. If this is the case, I would think about adding in a second nitroimidazole, my first choice would be Ronidazole and if you don't have that, then Carnidazole (Spartrix). If you need help with dosing, let me know.

Karyn

#5 ·
Hi Karyn,

I'm giving him 0.25mls Flagyl twice a day.

The only other med I have is Spartrix which I gave for 5 days when he first came.

That's worrying if the Flagyl isn't going to clear it completely. I don't really have access to any other meds other than Baytril and Nystatin at the moment, not canker specific ones anyway.
He had some canker right down his throat again this morning. I can't see it now but I did wipe it with Flagyl again.

Janet

#7 ·
Sorry Karyn,

The Flagyl is 200mg/5ml Oral Suspension Syrup. Metronidazole Benzoate.

ps.

Checked his throat tonight before bedtime and it was clear of canker again.
Will look again in the morning to see if it's re-appeared overnight.

Thanks

Janet

#8 · (Edited)
Janet, thanks for that full information it was very helpful. The .25mL you have been giving him is equal to 10mg of Metronidazole. For a bird with advanced canker like this, I would think this dose should be in a range to properly treat it.

The dosing you are currently giving would be in line with a suggested dosage of 100mg/kg, q24hr. which would be 20mg for every 100 grams of body weight, every 24 hours. If you know what the bird weighs, we can adjust things more if needed. I think it would be good if we could locate some Spartrix to add along with the Metronidazole.

Karyn

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks Karyn for that info.

Dosage is something I do struggle with as it involves maths which I have a major problem with. :eek:

I'll weigh him tomorrow to confirm as he's a juvenile and came in very thin due to not being able to eat, so hard to guess.

Thank you again for your input.

Janet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.