Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady from Paris wrote me about a baby pigeon she found.
It has a scissored beak, but she does not have a camera.
Asked me if it would "heal".
The baby is around 6 weeks old and does not peck at seeds.
I told her to handfeed the pigeon.
I don't know anything about the subject of scissored beaks.:confused:
Could anyone tell me what I have to answer her?
Myriam

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I have a dove with scissored beak due to canker. She is eating fine as long as she has a deep bowl where she can dip in her beak all the ways.
I wonder what cause this pigeons scissored beak.

On another note I have a baby pigeon with normal beak, two months old who is not eating, he just doesn't and won't learn how.

Reti

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reponse , Reti.
You are right, I should ask her if the pigeon's throat is pink and clear.
Should I send her a canker medicine anyway? Even if she does not see anything in the throat? Canker could be located in another place of his body, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for the reponse , Reti.
You are right, I should ask her if the pigeon's throat is pink and clear.
Should I send her a canker medicine anyway? Even if she does not see anything in the throat? Canker could be located in another place of his body, or am I wrong?

It can be located way down the esophagus then you won't see it.
We don't know if this bird has canker at this point or he maybe has just suffered an injury or has something else going on. For the beak to scissor the canker has to be located on the beak and she would have seen it, but for her to have some meds on hand would not be bad anf maybe treat him a few days.

Reti

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Myriam

Out Piglet also has a scissored beak due to a combination of canker and pox. As the two ends don't meet when they close the upper beak needs regular trimming, care must be taken because it is very easy to cause a bleed so I always have cornflour available when I do it, just in case I need to stop a bleed, (the lower beak can be filed a bit but mustn't be trimmed ).

Cynthia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts