Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am a flight attendant and one day, going to work, I found a small, 'screeping' dinosaur on the jetbridge: a baby starling that had fallen 10 feet out of its nest on the roof.
After the mechanic said he would just 'throw that thing in the trash, they don't live very long,' I took the bird home to rehab.
"Poppy" is over 5 years old now and talks, whistles songs, perform tricks and causes daily chaos and mayhem: we love him so much!
Being the proud birdie-mama, Poppy has his own website: poppythebird.com and youtube videos! His story is also on Amazon Kindle/ Iphone books and a children's Picture book is in the works. ( If anyone knows an agent/publisher...)
Please check out the Rascal Poppy! He will make your day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQAKRSAnZNM

Oh and here is Poppy whistling both songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJHYZ2Dq4Mc

Let me know what you think of Poppy!

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
WOW!! Poppy is TERRIFIC!!

I know Starlings make wonderful pets! There is a member named Susan, who lives in Australia with her husband and their Starling, named Spoggy...the light of their life!!

You are a wonderful artist too and I bet Poppy's books will be a BIG HIT!!

Thank you SO much for posting and will we ever be lookong forward to the further adventures of Poppy!!

One of the best rescue stories I've read!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi and her gang: Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

G

·
Wow those are awesome videos! Thanks for posting them and your website birdiegirlie. I enjoyed looking at them all. Both you and Poppy are one talented pair!!! :D That picture of Poppy in front of the Christmas tree is the best. Starlings are such smart birds. Good luck with your book! :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Poppy is adorable. Starlings are so amazing...funny and smart.... I lived with one for 14 years. Her specialty was the song...Sittin on the Dock of the Bay. I understand that is a Starling favorite.
I hope you have many wonderful, happy years with Poppy.
The picture of Poppy in front of the Christmas tree is just spectacular. You really captured the essence of a Starling in that picture.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
What an amazing bird.
Next week I am getting a starling, hopefully. I can't wait.

Reti

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I did not know one was alound to keep a starling as a pet, what a pretty bird! I see why they have their own website now! how adorable:)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
European starlings aren't native here so I guess you can keep one as a pet.
He's a beautiful bird and very talented! I didn't know they could whistle and talk like that. You're a great artist as well :) You and Poppy may soon be famous!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you guys so much! I am honored by your comments and they made my day! I am going to print out your comments to keep and read and put them in Poppy's scrapbook! Your pigeon pictures and icons are GORGEOUS, too!!!
Poppy does rock and he whistles and sings all day- evey day, I feel so lucky to have found found Poppy that day at the airport and be able to keep him.

Here in Florida, it is legal to keep a pigeon, starling or sparrow as a pet, being a non-native, 'pest' species; however, every state is different. The majority of states do allow starlings to be kept as pets- but make sure and check.

It is quite a challenge, since starlings are omnivores (they don't eat seeds- but insects, proteins and fruits) and starlingtalk.com is a FANTASTIC and VALUABLE website, like this one, that helps in every aspect if you are thinking about adopting a starling.

I truly hope Poppy's story puts a smile on everyone's face! I show Poppy's videos to the airport mechanics, flight attendants and cranky pilots- and they all crack a smile and laugh and marvel at how smart our little birdies are!!!!

Hugs,
Lisa and Poppy

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Oh, I forgot to ask, what you used to draw/color those beautiful illustrations? :) I'm assuming colored pencils? But there's a lot of different kinds of those to choose from.

Also, when you find a publisher, let us know! :D

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That is absolutely adorable, I had no idea they could be so clever and cute.

I love those pictures too, you've got an amazing talent.

Janet

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What an adorable character! ...and you bring out the BEST of Poppy and his character in your artwork!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I know Starlings make wonderful pets! There is a member named Susan, who lives in Australia with her husband and their Starling, named Spoggy...the light of their life!!

Shi and her gang: Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)
Ooops .. Spoggy is an English House Sparrow, Shi! BUT Susan and David also have starlings .. lots of them! :D (And lots of holes in the walls of their house from having to go into the walls to get trapped starlings out).

Terry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts