Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My husband and I found a pigeon this afternoon in the parking lot, it seen to be ok, just cold (a lot of snow here in OH) so we put him in the tub with a towel, some bird food and water, turn off the lights and left. When we got back home after about 6 or 7 hours I checked on him, he was alert, shinny eyes, droppings bright green (some white in it) and a little runny, then I noticed a bad smell and when I checked found a wound near the right wing and the chest and saw some seeds in it, after some searching on the web I try to clean the wound with some saline solution and WHAT A BIG SURPRISE TO ME more and more seeds came out, so I stop and did some more browsing and that is how I found this website. Can any one give me some advise :confused: I have very limited financial resources and I don't know where to take him.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If you have any emergency vets in your area get on the telephone and find out where to bring this pigeon..Sounds like a open gash into its crop---but I don;t know. In the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS category find a sticky called : Saving a pigeon or Dove -something like that and read it--this is important- (I don't know how to do the link thing so you will have to find it) They call these important things stickeys...There will in time I hope be other people joining in this thread to help you. Keep it warm and feed it and offer it water in a dish by gently dipping its beak in water and if it can it will suck it up--if it can--but it is complicated here because of the crop tear I guess???See if you have any emergency type of vet and call and see if you can get help with this situation. Read that stickly ...c.hert

·
Registered
670 Posts
It sounds like this bird has a crop fistula. I would be very careful about bringing him to a rehab place or to a vet, because many people will euthanize. Thanks to Pidgey, I've learned that crop fistulas heal themselves over time. Another route would be to see an avian vet who will suture the crop and then the overlying skin. I employed the latter method with the first crop fistula bird I had and the former with the last. In both cases, the crop healed fine.

Is any food staying in the crop? Can you post a picture?

Jennifer

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Thank you for saving this poor bird Karicostas. I have never encountered a pigeon with a torn crop. Our veteran member and rehabber Pidgey is one of the experts that can advise on matters such as this one. I sent him a private message so he visit your thread. A picture of the woud would help. I have heard that superglue is also effective. Once the wound is closed, the healing begins. Keep the pigeon warm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for all of your responses, I posted a couple of pictures of the wound... I hope this help. I don't know anything about pigeons, is this situation beyond any help? is the pigeon suffering? Thanks again!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Kari,

I think the fistula will heal over time. The most recent bird I had with a fistula had one that looked similar, and it healed in a couple of weeks. Pidgey can give you better advice once he comes along.

Is the bird producing droppings? Can you use saline to wash away the dried blood on the surrounding skin?

Jennifer

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think you better try to get ahold of a vet because it looks like some kind of a gun shot wound to me that torn the crop apart---See if you have any vet emergencies where you are and take it to them or find out where you can take it and say it is your pet so they won't send the bird elsewhere and you never know what happens to it. So say it is a pet bird and you want to help get it well because its crop is torn or a crop fistula like
Jenfer says...c.hert

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
It sounds like this bird has a crop fistula. I would be very careful about bringing him to a rehab place or to a vet, because many people will euthanize. Thanks to Pidgey, I've learned that crop fistulas heal themselves over time. Another route would be to see an avian vet who will suture the crop and then the overlying skin. I employed the latter method with the first crop fistula bird I had and the former with the last. In both cases, the crop healed fine.

Is any food staying in the crop? Can you post a picture?

Jennifer
this the best advice IMO......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just got back home the pigeon still looks alert, it has been eating ant the droppings are more dark green with some white and firm. I also got the saline solution and I want to clean his wound, but I have no idea how to do this, any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can wrap him in a towel, like a burrito, fold down the part where the wound is and clean it, an extra person would be helpful. I would not rub too hard though IF as said before may heal on it's own...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love to take him to a vet, but after making some phone calls I found it to be way out of my budget (just for the office visit) I am willing to do anything within my reach to help this pigeon... I wish I could do more. Thanks for the reply...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would love to take him to a vet, but after making some phone calls I found it to be way out of my budget (just for the office visit) I am willing to do anything within my reach to help this pigeon... I wish I could do more. Thanks for the reply...
good luck, hope it does heal, some feed has to get into him though for him to survive of course, so hope all his feed is not being spilled from the crop tear. do the best you can is all you can do... you have already done more than alot would for a feral/lost pigeon.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Someone is missing a homing pigeon and wondering where it is. Thank you for helping him.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Karicositas: Take the bird to a avian vet tomorrow and I am assuming you live in Ohio..and when you get a receipt from the vet I will mail you the needed funds to pay for 1/2 the visit and it should not be over 100 dollars and if you do this the bird might have a chance of surviving--a chance--thats more than it has right now if it was shot at with a bb gun or pellet or something--the vet will let you know and clean it out and sew it up and by the way--your bird food looks real yummy---If you are okay with this go into my profile and give me your name or e-mail or address so that I will have somewhere to mail the money after you get the vet receipt..c.hert

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have a referral for a wonderful rehabber in Ohio. I don't know haw far apart you are., but at least you can give her a call and see if she knows of someone close to you that can help.

God's Little Critters,Inc
Wildlife Rehabilitation & Learning Center

Maribeth Taylor, Director

Willard, OH 44890
419-935-1782
State & Federal Permits

·
Registered
670 Posts
Kari,

If he's passing droppings, then obviously food is getting through.

You can put the saline in a syringe and squirt it at the area you want to clean. You can use gauze to gently pat it dry. Can you also look to see if you see any other wounds besides the hole?

Jennifer

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Those always look awful, and usually aren't functionally quite as bad as they look. Check out Pierpont:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=11512

You can clean that stuff out of the hole and then stuff will just leak out faster... Pierpont's was quite a mess as you can see in that thread. While the vet literally trimmed around the edges to have fresh flesh to heal back together, it didn't actually hold. As such, it seems to me to be better to simply "manage" the healing process in wounds like that which have been that way for long enough that the body has already begun its own healing strategy. If something is mechanically holding the fistula open, it cannot "tractor" itself closed properly, of course, so it behooves us to clean the garbage out and do something to kinda' pull it somewhat more closed and hold it that way. Stitches actually work the best but we always tend to expect them to not leak and in a case like this, they very well might.

Hard to tell due to the picture (closeups can be deceiving) but is most of that wound kinda' under wing on one side? These days, I'd probably tend on a wound like that to be less concerned with removing all the scab and just keep the bird on an antibiotic. The scab tends to keep the stuff underneath from drying out and it can be slowly picked at around the edges over a period of days or weeks to help it eventually close. That is, the actual hole in the outer skin. The crop will probably have sealed with the outer skin in a ring (regardless of the actual shape, it's still a ring) that will also close in time by way of the "tractoring" mentioned above. As long as food and water can make it through the bird in sufficient quantities, that is.

By the way, if you can post some pictures of the droppings by something to give a size reference (like a dime or other coin), then we can get a better idea how well food is going through. As to pain, I've no doubt it was painful getting the wound but they surprisingly don't seem to give crop wounds that much attention as though they were dying of pain.

Pidgey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hello everybody, thank you very much for the good wishes and the VERY helpful advice on how to care for this little guy, I strongly believe he is a fighter! As an update he is still alert, eating and drinking :)

I have a few questions about his ongoing treatment, how can I get antibiotics for him and what would be the appropriate dose? About the food, what is the recommended diet on this case? does he need grits?

I am posting some pictures on regards to his droppings and the wound after I cleaned a little bit with the saline solution (I covered the hole with a little piece of non stick pad while I was cleaning the surroundings, is this ok?)

Once again thank you for everything!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Karicositas, the injury on this bird is due to a hawk attack some how she got caught and were about to be eaten and got away. I have an experience on this matter due to I do raise racing pigeon and one of my birds came home with the same injuries. The problem is how old is the wound? Looking at the pictures it tells me that it has been over 2 days that is the reason why it is smelly and the darkening around the flesh. I don't think it will heal up in time and if it does the bird will be dead by then due to not being able to eat or drink properly. Anyway what I did with my bird is a have a medical kit and put all the crop together then cover the wound with a superglue or liquid band aid so that no water or food will get it wet, then I stitch the outer skin together and aldo cover it with liquid band aid the birds recover and now back in my racing team and name him scar face. You really need the clean the wound up properly with betadine, pull the feather out around it, and kinda putting a puzzle back once you start stitching the crop and the outer skin. Let the liquid band aid or superglue dry and the birds should be able to eat and keep the food in its crop. you can also get a Kaytee hand feeding formula and a syringe to feed him if not give him pellets a rabbit pellets will work since it is reach in protein and a lot softer, and absorb water properly, after couple of days she should be back eating by itself. It will also benefit if you can use a dissolving thread. Let me know if this help.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts