Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I responded to a call claiming they had my lost dove. Turned out to be a white pigeon seemingly in very good health. No band, so no way to contact the owner other than an ad on various lost and found sites. The dove is human friendly, so I'm thinking it is domestic but don't really know. It very much would like to get outside. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I turn it loose or keep waiting for a response to my ad(none so far)?
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't let it loose in to the wild ,if it is a pet ,human friendly then it will not survive the wild.
It will not know where or how to find food and will not know what is danger and what is not.
If you cant/don't want to keep it then please seek out an animal rescue/advice group in your area.
Always check first that they have a no kill policy.
They maybe able to take the bird off you and check it out if it is fit and healthy and maybe find it a home

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation. It was my inclination to not release this pigeon and rather find a pigeon person with facilities to foster until the owner responds to my ad, if ever.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Agree that it is likely a tame bird who will not be able to survive in the wild. Hope you foster it as that is the safest. Many wildlife places and animal shelters kill pigeons. You might want to run an ad on Craigslist and contact your local pigeon clubs to see if anyone is missing the bird. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts