Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently I was on my bike home and i saw a pigeon get run over by a car. I didnt want to leave it to die so i have been giving it food and water and keeping it in bird cage. i am not equipped to care for this pigeon and thats why im looking for someone who is. The pigeon can stand but one if not both of his legs are severely injured. Many of his feathers are missing and some parts of his body is exposed.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Where do you live, so we can suggest rescue organizations? If you could pls post photos we might be able to suggest medical care. Thank you for helping him.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Where do you live, so we can suggest rescue organizations? If you could pls post photos we might be able to suggest medical care. Thank you for helping him.
cwebster, it is in CAPITAL LETTERS CHICAGO ILLINOIS.

twabc123, Can you find an avian vet near you. I don't have a list of avian vets in Chicago, and some will not see pigeons.
As was asked, can you post a picture of the poor bird?
How long have you had him?
Is he eating, or just picking at the food, and drinking? What do the droppings look like?

·
Registered
6,550 Posts

·
Registered
29,795 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pigeon update

the pigeon is eating and drinking normally. the droppings are consistent, greenish/whitish. unfortunately i cant have the pigeon in my apartment so, the pigeon is at my ex boyfriends parents house. My boyfriend and i recently broke up so i cant check on the pigeon as much as i would like.

I am feeding it canary/finch food ( i also own domesticated canaries).
the pigeon has been very quiet, in the picture you will see the pigeon does have a bit of poop stuck to his feathers. I try to clean him up when i can, but im afraid it would be too stressful for him to try and bathe. I am not sure he could bathe himself if he tried.

I will call the organizations suggested. I am a graduate student, that being said i am slightly worried about the vet cost. but i do want to get this pigeon help.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you cannot see him as often as you would like, then you can't really care for him. He looks to be in bad shape and really does need a vet. He needs 24/7 care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

flint creek wildlife rehabiliation is 45 minutes away from me. Im going to take the pigeon there tomorrow or as soon as i can get an appointment. According to the website all you need is to make a donation.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Have you called them to ask if they would take pigeons? Some places won't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

yes they returned my call today, i am bringing in the pigeon tomorrow morning around 10am. customer service is definitely not their strong point but im glad i can get the pigeon somewhere where he can get the care he needs.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That's wonderful. Thank you for helping him.
Have you been able to get any food into him. You could try feeding frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water. Here is how to do that.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

the pigeon had no problem eating or drinking on his own. I took him to Flint Creek Wildlife rehab this morning. The doc there said its very painful for a pigeon when they lose a lot of feathers and that it will take some time for them to grow back. She also said that the pigeon had some swelling in his chest. And that one of his legs was not responsive. A minimum of 25$ is required for them to update you about the pigeons care, but no payment is actually required. I chose to donate so I will be hearing about the pigeons condition in the future. If the bird heals and is able to be released back into the wild they will notify me via email. And if things go downhill they will also email me. She said that euthanization is a last resort for them, so they will do everything they can to restore this pigeons health. I know now in case i ever find another wounded/injured bird/animal I can always take them to flint creek.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That's great. Thanks for the update, and for helping him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts