Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a few pigeons before now, unfortunately the first pair flew away with some close by wild pigeons, And the second :( were got by a cat whilst they had young, Luckyly we managed to save one of the babies.

And He is the problem.. Hes basicly is pulling out all of his feathers on his chest completly bold about the size of a £2 coin.
We thought it could be down to stress, so we found a female for him. Both settled down great.
Had 6 eggs for them quite quick, But i think he was alittle confused on what they were.

Now they are both taking their turns sitting.

But he still continues to attack himself, sometimes to the point to bleeding.
Sounds like a boxing pigeon huffing and puffing everytime he hit himself.

There also doesnt seem to be any feather in the nest so its not nesting material.

Any help??

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the losses but glad you were able to save at least 1.

Now - many questions before anyone can give answers... 1 pair laid 6 eggs? Did those eggs appear at about the same time? or you've had 6 eggs from them over time? Have you had any live hatchings yet? It sounds like you've seen the self-attack yourself. Are you sure the other bird isn't also participating? Have you checked the bird to be sure there aren't any mites or lice (tiny little bugs) in it's feathers? Do the birds have water to bathe in? And, lastly, can you post a picture of the damage the bird is doing to itself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its definatly him doing the damage. he was doing it before we got her.

6 eggs over time. Seen as he was hand reared from a week or 2, i dont think he knew what was goin on. Ended up breaking most of them or hid them in a corner.

Cat litter tray filled with water they splash around in, LOVE IT!
Ive checked for lice/mites as we have 20+ hens too, From what i could tell couldnt see any.

No hatchlings but they are sitting on 2, think shes finally shown him what to do.

Ill work on getting some kind of picture.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can't always see mites as I have recently discovered. They are so small that it's nearly impossible to see them. They can be as small as the head of a needle.
You need to get a spray or dust that eliminated mites and treat all your birds.
It's an on going battle...I know!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Thanks for the explanations. Poor guy ... sounds like the baby-thing may have really confused him! Good thing he has her around and that she's patient!! :rolleyes:

I don't know about the pecking ... but someone will be along soon, I'm sure.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You know...it could be an internal medical problem...some sort of viral or bacterial infection.

Short of taking him for a blood test and culture...I would be inclined to try some meds and see if they improve anything.

An anti-inflammatory (medicam/petcam) and maybe a wide-net antibiotic (cipro or clavamox).

I dunno about columbids, but I know that when psittacines start picking ruthlessly at themselves, the first thing an avian vet checks for (beyond a big environmental change) is something internal...

It could also just be neurological...has he constantly been doing this since you have been raising him ? Or was he normal for a while, then started ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts