Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a catastrophe with my birds and would appreciate any advise from experiences fanciers as its a difficult situation with my pigeons and I a worn out and have ran out of ideas to help them. Sorry this post is going to be long.

Background Story

1. I live in Thailand and keep pigeons, chickens, finches, parakeets, several song bird species and small parrots. I breed them as a hobby and supply local pet shops with my birds.

2. 3 weeks ago my bantam chickens started to die, one by one, despite seeming in perfect health. I lost 99 percent of my 50 birds! Birds would show lethargy and die within 24 - 48 hours.

3. My pigeons started to loose condition and develop watery droppings, and start constantly flicking their heads from side to side and scratching and pecking at their legs, wings.. like they had parasites. They had same symptoms as the bantams, lethargy, stopping eating and drinking and then death.

4. In our village people started loosing their poultry, chickens, ducks, guinea fowl and quail. Often all their birds would die. Same symptoms.

5. Local government did clinical tests on dead birds. We were all advised to report losses. Results came back as an outbreak of bird cholera.

6. The outbreak spread all over the province, with huge losses. However, the farmers and neighbours I spoke to did not believe the government statement, and think is it a strain of bird flu.

7. After I lost my chickens I started to loose my parakeets is the same way, but about 30 percent died. Then my pigeons got worse and I lost about 20 percent of them.

8. NOW... I have only 10 pigeons left. I have treated them for parasites (with a spot on for pigeons), but they do not have any parasites as I did a careful search of the bodies and coop with a high powered magnifying glass and microscope for the poops.

I have also had them on a bird broad spectrum long lasting anti biotic in their water, but stopped after 10 days as they show no improvement.

I regularly de worm the birds, and also use anti coccidiosis treatment once a year, and have never had a problem with these things.

I have put a vitamin B12 supplement into their water to help with their nervous system.

My pigeons have improved from when they were first ill, but they are showing the following symptoms:

a. loose watery droppings
b. head twitching............... They were all frantically shaking and flicking their heads like they were irritated. But no coughing, gaping, or mucus. The breath perfectly and their eyes are clear and bright.

Now only 3 are still flicking their heads constantly. The rest still do it, but far less frequently.

So I believe this may be a neurological problem caused by the virus... this is my best guess.

Any advise from anyone about this head flicking. I have research on the net but can not faint anything about it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for that link.

My pigeons are doing better now.

I have only one what is still frantically head flicking. I have isolated that one.

One more is still doing it, but hardly at all.

The other pigeons are displaying normal behaviour.

One that was so sick I had to force feed / water it for over a week, one point was very near death, and just feathers and bones. That one has made a great recovery and has gained weight and can now fly and looks good.

Apart from the 2 head shaking / flicking, the birds only remaining problem is very watery droppings.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Don't you have vets out there that can test their poop and give you a proper diagnosis? It's hard for people on a forum to advise and even harder when in a different country when not knowing if there's a virus going around in that vicinity. If there is some kind of avian disease then vets should know all about it - for the protection of farmed birds and human health as well as for pet birds.

I'd rather see a vet or if that's not possible Email a few describing what's going on with your flock because if it's contagious it could spread even further afield and you may need to isolate your birds to inside your loft until it's under control.
We had a couple of small areas over here recently of an avian problem and were told not to feed wild birds and keep all livestock, including farmed chickens inside for specific period of time in order to prevent it from spreading any further.

I think you need a proper diagnosis and not just forum advice.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I agree. No way anyone here can tell you what is going on there. Only testing would tell you what they have. That's awful to be going through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts