Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding yb's that a person may raise for a one loft race, or futurity. Do you have to ship them to the destination by the time they are 35-45 days old, or can you ship them if they are older, but have not been outside of the loft? In other words, at what age or event, does a young birds homing instinct lock on to a loft?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I have a question regarding yb's that a person may raise for a one loft race, or futurity. Do you have to ship them to the destination by the time they are 35-45 days old, or can you ship them if they are older, but have not been outside of the loft? In other words, at what age or event, does a young birds homing instinct lock on to a loft?
The younger the better. I think for the most part, if the one loft race manager is at all decent, they won't even except a bird that has dropped a flight, which usually happens around 40 days old I think?
If however, the person running the race will except them, you can ship any age you want to, but IMO, you'd be wasting YOUR money, and be putting money in HIS pocket.
I've bought "older" young birds at auctions and not had a problem with them......I've bought them and lost them too, but I've also done that with younger ones.........so.........I think the odds are in your favor if you stick with a 28 to 32 day old baby.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Some one loft race's will stipulate "no bird's older than..."
I believe on the whole they will accept bird's that are feeding on their own.
Some bird's take a little longer than other's.Put it this way, you want to send your best. In the best condition.
I have been on the receiving side of this scenario.I have recieved sick, immature bird's. You will have a sense that a bird is healthy and can endure the trip to his raceground. Do not send them otherwise.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
bbcdon, The instincts are ALWAYS there! but if they are not old enough to fly... How would one Know? Settling a bird is like, say a Child learning were the Kitchen or bath room is... The Ability is there, It just takes time for them to get old enough to "lock" in on the Starting point, I.E. "Home" No Magic, just Growing up. Dave

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have sent birds out from 4-6 weeks. I like 28 days. I think it is a nice age where they are still getting pumped by the parents, but know how to eat and drink on their own. I then know they have a crop full the morning of shipping. This is usually about 30 days. About the time they can fly up to the bottom nest boxes. I have been shipping 10-20 birds out to races around the country and try to keep them within this range. I do prefer not to send them much older than five weeks. When the wattle starts turning white, they are getting a bit old.

Many of the One loft races are equipped to deal with older birds. Many take imported birds that are much older than 4 weeks. You still run the risk of loosing them.

Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.