Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experience rehabbing a variety of wild birds, including pigeon nestlings.

Today, the neighborhood kids rang my bell to say there was a sick pigeon "rolling down a hill", and other kids were throwing sticks/rocks at it. I ran to the area, and there was indeed a sorry looking, puffed up pigeon, barely able to stand.

I brought her home. No visible wounds. Severely dehydrated and starving. I immediately began administering an emergency solution via eyedropper (water, sugar, salt). After several hours, pidge is perking up slightly: able to stand, not falling over, moving around cage a few inches. She has also pooped twice, very watery, bright green/white droppings. Mostly puffed and sleeping though.

My best guess (from remembering the other pigeons we rescued) is that this is a very young, recently fledged bird. Beak is still dark black with no "white line" of feathers across bridge of nose, she also has just begun to have irridescent feathers. I think she wasn't able to find food or water on her own, which lead to dehydration and starving conditions.

She is now resting for the night and I will reassess at sunrise (rehabbing a sparrow fledgling too LOL). My question for tomorrow, if she is well enough to take food: what would you suggest for first feedings? "Crop milk" mixture? Peas? Attempt to see if she will self-feed?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Bless you for rescuing the burd! Would imagine peas would be great but someone more expert than me should answer soon.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You can forcefeed defrosted peas, try to get 30 into him for a start. 30 peas 3 times daily will be enough to keep him going until he learns to start eating by himself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the advice! S/he survived the night, so I'm hopeful. Still puffed up and sleepy, but taking water and pooping. Will try peas now :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you post a pic of the bird?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, she is crawling with mites or lice: very small, long, skinny brown bugs.
The only thing I have on hand is "8 in 1 Ultra Care Mite and Lice bird spray".
I sprayed her gently yesterday, but didn't want to soak or stress her. Can someone advise on how to handle the bug situation? Thank you!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If the mice and lice spray doesn't work, then try a permethrin spray or powder, or 5% Sevin garden dust that you can buy in most hardware stores. Keep it out of her face, and get her well under the wings and tail, then do the rest. For a powder you can use a powder puff, or a couple of cotton balls. Either one works well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay3, thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind.

S/he has eaten several times today, via force-feeding peas. 30 peas at 7:30 am, 15 at 11:30, 15 at 3:30. I am also still giving electrolyte solution via eye-dropper.

Pigeon is more alert: showing curiosity when I enter the room, walking around cage, stretching, struggling a little in protest of being force-fed. Poop is still very watery, bright green/white. 24 hours ago s/he was at Death's Door, and now I'd say closer to 50% better. Eyes are bright, no sneezing or nasal discharge, nothing alarming inside mouth/throat.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Try to get him to drink on his own by gently dipping his beak into the water. Giving water with an eye dropper, it's easy to aspirate him.

Make sure the crop has emptied or nearly emptied before feeding again.
I'm glad he's feeling a bit better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jay 3, again, thank you for the good advice.
So far s/he shows no interest in self-feeding or drinking water. Yes, I keep trying the beak dipping technique. But I will keep trying; tomorrow is a new day :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Let us know how he does.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You can also leave a small bowl filled with peas in her cage. It's sometimes amazing how quick they learn to pick them up. Once she's eating peas by herself, you can add some seeds and she will start eating them as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
S/he was very puffy and sleepy this morning; I force-fed 30 peas. Had to run out for a few hours and return to find a very alert pidgie who had completely trash the cage LOL! Someone was feeling better and stomping their big feet to let me know

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, cage trashing is pretty normal. LOL.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on the pigeon:
It's been 11 days since I found her. My guesstimate for age is that she was about a month old when I rescued. Her condition is definitely better than that first day (near death), but not where it should be.
At times she is very alert and active. Climbing the bars of the cage and beating her wings. But mostly still resting, and often seems weak and wobbly.
I haven't seen her drink water, and she is not attempting to self-feed. (We give a variety in her cage, simulate pecking motions, she is in my yard where many other birds come to eat that she can observe.) She nuzzles my fingers like she wants to crop feed, but won't take food with that method. So I am still force-feeding peas as her only method of eating/nutrition.
Her poop was solid for a day or two, but mostly its very mushy. Not sure if this is from the pea-diet, or something else going on in her system? Eyes are clear. Throat appears clear to me, but she does do a repetitive "yawning". She is still very thin, breastbone feels very sharp.
When I take her out to feed, she is alert. But very docile, more so than I would expect from a "wild" pigeon; she makes no attempt to struggle or escape. Just settles in my lap and wants to snuggle.
Any thoughts on what could be going on?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Try to not feed her in the morning. Just leave her with the peas and see if she will pick them up because she is hungry. Give her several hours. If she is hungry enough then she should start making an effort to pick them up. Yawning can be canker or something in her throat. You can't always see canker.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts