Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there! My name is Claire and I live in Portland, OR. Yesterday morning, my roommate found an injured dove being further attacked by a group of crows outside our house.

She was able to rescue her and we kept her in our empty chicken coop for most of the afternoon to rest (with towels to lay on, a shallow bowl of water, and bird seed available to her). After spending time under the heat lamp, she's started to feel able enough to adjust herself as needed. In brief moments, we've been able to see the laceration on her chest. Perhaps the size of a quarter (or bigger), it seems that when she drinks water, it doesn't stay inside her. When she bypasses, her excretions are green. From what I've read on these forums, it seems like the typical crop injury. So far, I've been able to do the following:

1) Get her comfortable under a heat lamp
2) Put some amoxicillin in her water (as well as a little bit of CBD to help with the pain). I tried mixing amoxicillin with honey as well and administering it to her, but she wasn't obliging. I've kept this mixture near her.
3) Contact local vets for advice. So far, no one has been able to offer help or insight. Every place has referred me to the Audubon Society of Portland, which will euthanize her as she is a non-native species.

Obviously, if we can save her life, that would be absolutely ideal. My next steps moving forward, should we not receive professional medical help soon, are expected to be:

1) Rinse the wound with a saline solution (about to do after this post)
2) Patch the wound with a mixture of raw honey and sugar
3) Patch the wound with gorilla glue

While I've handled pet chickens before and rehab'ed animals to a minimal extent, I've never administered any sort of animal support like this. ANY advice goes a long way. I will try to get a good photo of the injury soon. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
We have a member in Portland, and I think that is where she goes. You can tell them it's your pet and pay for services. I have a call in to her so waiting for her to call me back. Call them and ask them if they will see your pigeon.
Places can't just euthanize a bird unless you give it to them. You don't leave a bird with someone. You stay with the bird and pay for their services.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
My friend in Portland called. She said that place will euthanize a pigeon, Don't call them.
Here is the vet she uses.
Dr. Deborah Ward. She works at Oswego Veterinary Clinc, and is there a few days a week. The days are different on different weeks. This week she is there on Wed.-Thurs.-Fri. and I guess next week will be Wed.-Thurs.-Sat.
The number is 503-636-3001.
I would call and schedule an appointment with her.
Please don't glue the crop. There are 2 layers that have to be delt with. Both the crop itself, and the outside skin on the chest. If they are just connected together then it will cause problems for the bird. Please let us know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts