Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If mine had bugs I would use it. You can cut it if you want by mixing half Sevin and half cornstarch. Not so strong that way, but still works.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We've used sevin dust before, but not near a bird that young. But it's never had a negative effect on our older birds. We never use very much though.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have a friend with chickens, and that is who told me about cutting it that way. She has done this for years to use on baby chics and has never had a problem. I've used it this way with no ill effects. Works fine.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you feel better, then go to any grain store and buy a permethrin dust for birds and garden.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is this any better? I bought a small bottle a time ago for some odd (ignorant) reason. After smelling it I said no way!
It's fine and won't hurt them. It works great. It is the same product used in many of the sprays and dips for birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Permethrin is very low in toxicity to birds and other animals, except for aquatic animals.
Anything you are going to use to get rid of bugs on your birds, or worms in your birds have some level of toxicity, or it wouldn't work. If you want to go the purely natural route and hope for the best, and not get rid of the bugs, then that is your choice also.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would not recommend dusting the birds, first its not good if they inhale it and its not also good to you if you inhale it, sevin dust is good for furry animals, for pigeon I recommend dipping with permectrin, I been using this product and never have problem on my birds health. Hope this help.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You don't put it on their head. You dust under the wings and tail and on the tummy.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would not recommend dusting the birds, first its not good if they inhale it and its not also good to you if you inhale it, sevin dust is good for furry animals, for pigeon I recommend dipping with permectrin, I been using this product and never have problem on my birds health. Hope this help.
It's the same ingredient, and works just as well. Why do you think it is okay for furry animals but not feathered ones?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Since you are near a major urban area, you might be best just to pick up a bottle of caged bird lice and mite spray, like in the link below. It is based on pyrethrins (the natural form of the insecticide derived from the Chrysanthemum plant, the Permectrin (Permethrin) mentioned is the synthetic form - and safe as well when mixed down right).

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752076

Karyn

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have a friend with chickens, and that is who told me about cutting it that way. She has done this for years to use on baby chics and has never had a problem. I've used it this way with no ill effects. Works fine.
If I remember right from years ago when I raised just over 40 chickens .... Chickens don't preen themselves like pigeons do. Assuming this is correct that means that what a chicken has on it does not get ingested. Putting the same product on a pigeon will mean it gets ingested.

Just because they have feathers in common does not mean it is healthy to use the same products.

Furry animals .... Cats and dogs have different types of skin that is why they each need and have their own products for external parasites. And with those products you are not to use them on young animals.

Get product for pigeon to treat pigeons. Many "it works OK" things posted on this forum have a negative effect on a pigeon's liver and kidneys. Just because the bird eats and flies some does not mean it is healthy.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have been using Sevin Dust with no side effects at all and with great success. I guess it is just what you want to use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.