Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried sexing pigeons by looking at the oil glands located above the base of the tail?
I had several men from India come over to buy some pigeons a couple of weeks ago and they told me that hens have two bumps and males just one.
We had 100% agreement on the sexes of about 20 birds we looked at.
I went by the pelvic bone spacing and feel and head shape. They went by the oil duct's bumps and I could tell the difference in the bumps too.
Since then, I have looked at around 20 more pigeons, that I was pretty sure of the sex of and it has always worked.
Has anyone else ever heard of this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
thanks for sharing this, something new to me... but if i may ask how old this birds that you guys look at, are this young birds or old birds???

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sreeshs, is this method of sexing pigeons common in India?
The other clues for sexing I look at, like head shape and size, pelvic bone spacing and even the coo bob, are never 100% accurate.
Do you know if cocks predominantly have 1 bump and hens 2?
It may be that more masculine cocks have 1 bump and feminine hens have 2 bumps, because the birds I have been checking are the ones I a more sure of the sex of.
I am pretty accurate at sexing homers and rollers, I have more trouble with fantails and English Trumpeters. Since I ship a lot of pigeons, I am always hoping to find a way to be 100% accurate.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
The other clues for sexing I look at, like head shape and size, pelvic bone spacing and even the coo bob, are never 100% accurate.
It may be that more masculine cocks have 1 bump and feminine hens have 2 bumps, because the birds I have been checking are the ones I a more sure of the sex of.
I am pretty accurate at sexing homers and rollers, I have more trouble with fantails and English Trumpeters. Since I ship a lot of pigeons, I am always hoping to find a way to be 100% accurate.
you can do DNA testing... it seems a bit extreme, but if the birds were special or something it perhaps may be of use. I sent off for a kit one time and it was 24 bucks for them to send the results, the kit was a few bucks for shipping. they ask how many birds you want to sex and then send the appropriate amount of cards. with the cards you tip a toenail so it bleeds a bit and put a drop on the card with the band #, you send it back to them and then they give you the results in the mail. I have known fancy pigeon breeders to do this with young birds they may want to sell as unmated pairs.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It is not common in this part, I am not sure about the fanciers in northern India. What I remember is that among many ideas or methods to identify a male and female pigeon, this method was also one which came up but was found that its not linked to sex 100%. Yet, I have to admit that I have never tried this on a homer or roller, as I never had one :) so you can still keep hope alive. I went to my loft today and checked on a pair of whites which I have and found that both male and female have clearly identifiable double bumps. I will recheck with all birds in my loft and let you know, these are all fancy breeds.

Even though if its not 100% a method that can be 80% accurate will also help a lot when it comes to pigeon. If you are shipping out adult pigeons, then I remember reading the following from W. F. Hollander's pigeon genetics news letter "Wilmer Miller has tried injecting sex hormones into “faded” (auto sex) pigeons to see whether he could change the color. He couldn't. He and a friend in Wisconsin, F. H. Wagner, worked out a look-see method of sexing adult pigeons and doves, and published it in the Auc (Magazine), 1955 page 279. They used a small nasal spreader to open the vent diagonally; females show the entrance of the oviduct, whiteish on the left, while males show a small conical red papilla on each side. The method was found no good in immature birds."

Might be something which might help, good luck

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
No Oil Gland

Well some breeds of pigeons DO NOT have an oil gland it seems that birds with more then12 tail feathers do not have is gland. In the book "The Pigeon" by W.M.LEVI he points out the Fantail, Maltese,and the Orental roller,as breeds without an oil gland.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Magnet(small) on a string ... If goes in circle over egg or back of pigeon it's a hen .... Straight back & forth it's a cock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Magnet(small) on a string ... If goes in circle over egg or back of pigeon it's a hen .... Straight back & forth it's a hen.
This works 100% of the time, unless it doesn't.

Seriously though, I have heard about that method before. It is about the most unbelievable thing I think I have ever heard about pigeons.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not just pigeons , anything I presexed my 3 grandchildren In the womb , horses, cattle.Foys pigeon supply sells them:)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Not just pigeons , anything I presexed my 3 grandchildren In the womb , horses, cattle.Foys pigeon supply sells them:)
Have someone ever tried to take that test seriously, test that on 50 squeakers of unknown sex, jolt them down and later once they are grown up, check the results you had obtained earlier ? thats the best way to do it. When you do it on a pre sexed, its you unknowingly causing the motion :) similar researches have been done in the field of para psychology in regards to pendulumns and they concluded that it was the action of sub concious mind :rolleyes:

Since this is 2010, lets run a more scientific way of determining the truth. I have heard that the technique even works on newly laid eggs, wah, science will have a lot to explain now on those :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts