Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang ,

I read something on the 'net I thought I'd share with you . It said you can identify the sex of a pij by the way it drinks its water . The males stick their beak in all the way up to the nostrils and gulp it down while the hens submerge their beak maybe half way and kind of sip at it . Sounds like typical male behavior to me :rolleyes: . LOL

Maybe its baloney but I have to admit I've been watching how they drink since I read that just the other day . Anybody else read this and any luck ? I would think if its a surefire way it would be well known knowledge in the pigeon world . But I havnt seen them under all conditions , such as when they are very thirsty or just getting a drink . It might make a difference .

I cant remember where I saw it but I'll post the link if and when I re-find it . I read everything I can about pigeons and it gets a blur after awhile .

Have a good one ...........

Hambone

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for sharing.

I have never heard that, but it's quite interesting and funny.

Remember, though....there is always the exception to the rule. :)

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Sure never heard that one before :)

We used to think the shape of the forehead was a guide - straight and high for boys, sloping for girls, but some of our retired racers have a very aerodynamic shape regardless of their sex.

I tend to just go by comparative size and general behavior now.

John

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
LOL, I'm never sure until one lays an egg. I have one now that is about 3 years old and think it is a little girl but not positive. She has not laid an egg at all but has had a boyfriend though they have now split up.....:confused:

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi gang ,

I read something on the 'net I thought I'd share with you . It said you can identify the sex of a pij by the way it drinks its water . The males stick their beak in all the way up to the nostrils and gulp it down while the hens submerge their beak maybe half way and kind of sip at it . Sounds like typical male behavior to me :rolleyes: . LOL

Maybe its baloney but I have to admit I've been watching how they drink since I read that just the other day . Anybody else read this and any luck ? I would think if its a surefire way it would be well known knowledge in the pigeon world . But I havnt seen them under all conditions , such as when they are very thirsty or just getting a drink . It might make a difference .

I cant remember where I saw it but I'll post the link if and when I re-find it . I read everything I can about pigeons and it gets a blur after awhile .

Have a good one ...........

Hambone

Yep, heard that before and it's true in some cases, however, if they are very thirsty like you said, then both sexes will guzzled the water. It's also not always true with youngsters, and for the most part, that's when you are trying to sex them. It's like everything else. It's true some of the time, but not all of the time, therefore, it's just another way of "guessing" what sex a pigeon is. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts