Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any tricks to tell the sex of a pigeon. I see you can buy a device that tells the sex, does it work?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sexing

No sexing devices, pieces of metal on string, etc. they do not work. Sexing by behavior, feel of vent space and of course hens lay eggs (usually). : )

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would have to beg the point there,I sex all my Pigeons,with a bit of string & a
Magnet.Now not all people have the Nack of doing it,a couple of the blokes in my club,that get no reaction at all.I use a fridge magnet.I cut it in half & put the 2 pcs together & drill hole the other end & put a light pcs of string through it,the
other end I have a bit of a point.When I ring my Squeakers,I put the ever rings
in the hens & odds on the cocks.On the odd ocaision,when they are both the same sex, I have been proven right.But as I said,not all people dose it work for.:D

·
Banned
267 Posts
I can only speak for myself, But with almost 40 years around certain Pigeons I can tell if it’s a Cock or a Hen… But I do have to admit its only around certain breeds Tipplers or NY Flights young or old and related breeds About 95% of the time, I do have alittle trouble with young Homers, But I never had or cared for homers..!.. In my case, I can say it took me around the first ten years around pigeons to really learn this, Now I can tell just by looking at a bird if it’s a C or H… I also need to Actually see and when In doubt, Hold the bird for a closer inspection, I look at; breast, head, legs and or Body mass, size ETC… Photos can be deceiving… Its just something you pick up after years… I take my best guess :rolleyes:…lol… My Experience is my best indicator…

Louie

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
It takes time to learn. Most breeds are not hard to sex. The vent bone is not allways a good way to tail. As inbred birds may have a wide vent bone. Out of shape birds will to. Young hens will have a tighter vent.. Head ,neck, body size, Is a good way also. The string and magnet or even a nail. Works to a point. Lets say giving credit 75 percent of the time. If i remember right circle motion its a hen back and forth its a cock. You hold over the back at the vent area start it in a small circle And it will sart a larger circle or slowley start swing back and forth. Some people swear by it Others do not I never used it for my self But seen several use it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If you are trying to identify the sex of a pigeon under 4 months of age, its tough, especially if its at a pet store or at another breeder's loft. I use a definite hen to find out. A cock pigeon which is healthy and well fed will strut and dance when the hen is introduced. The reverse, with a definite cock has a little more lesser chances as the cock will strut and coo to young cocks also :) If the bird is one in your loft then the behaviour during feeding, perching and picking with other birds start giving you an idea over time. I will have to admit, I have been wrong many times in identifying cock birds as hens when they are under 4 - 5 months :D

P.S: The thing with the string and metal etc., its all a chance based procedure. Over a larger community, I would give it only a 50% accuracy as the cock to hen ratio tends to 50-50 :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sreesh,You will find that,those that can use the Magnet on a string,would be 95% correct.
Iam hoping for the 100% this season,Last season,I would of had the 100%.But I must of mixed the rings,when putting them on the squeakers.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Sreesh,You will find that,those that can use the Magnet on a string,would be 95% correct.
Iam hoping for the 100% this season,Last season,I would of had the 100%.But I must of mixed the rings,when putting them on the squeakers.
Those people should be hired by the pigeon clubs for early identification of the sex of squeakers :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would have to beg the point there,I sex all my Pigeons,with a bit of string & a
Magnet.Now not all people have the Nack of doing it,a couple of the blokes in my club,that get no reaction at all.I use a fridge magnet.I cut it in half & put the 2 pcs together & drill hole the other end & put a light pcs of string through it,the
other end I have a bit of a point.When I ring my Squeakers,I put the ever rings
in the hens & odds on the cocks.On the odd ocaision,when they are both the same sex, I have been proven right.But as I said,not all people dose it work for.:D
It has no scientific basis, my grand-daughter believes in the tooth fairy and santa claus. If you believe it works and you feel comfortable doing it then by all means keep on doing it.;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
another way is to watch how they drink a male will stick most of his beak in and drink like no tommrow and a female will just barley stick her beak in and sip

·
Registered
74 Posts
iv herd that you should cut down on the food ( not to stravation) and the males desire for sex is more than food and then you can find out.
( would this work)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well, I still hold to the old guys statement to me earlier to this year when this came up at the club.

"If it lays an egg it is a hen. If it doesn't lay an egg it might be a hen. Good luck."

So far all the birds that have laid eggs have turned out to be hens!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts