Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how to identify the gender of my three month old pigeons. Are there any good methods that any of you use that work very well? Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than DNA sexing I suppose you'll have to wait until they mature or lay eggs. I've used the uk site of animal genetics to tell the sex of mine with their egg shells but there are other ways, the link explains in full.

http://www.animalgenetics.us/Avian/Avian-Index.asp
There's no other way? The person I bought them from knows all his pigeons, even the young ones. And I'm sure he doesn't DNA sex them all.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He is guessing. And often people who are sure, are wrong.
Why not bring them back to him and let him tell you then?
Why is it he didn't tell you what they were when he gave them to you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is guessing. And often people who are sure, are wrong.
Why not bring them back to him and let him tell you then?
Why is it he didn't tell you what they were when he gave them to you?
Ah, okay.

I suppose I could.
Oh, he told me the gender of the pigeons we got from him, these are the offspring I'm wondering about. :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've seen things on YouTube where breeders say they can tell by pelvic bone structure in adult birds, some say a male won't lie on its back in your hand and others say a chicks vent is different - a 'smile' in a male a 'frown' in a female. From looking at the way my two boys react I think they're the best guide, they definitely know the difference, lol.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I've seen things on YouTube where breeders say they can tell by pelvic bone structure in adult birds, some say a male won't lie on its back in your hand and others say a chicks vent is different - a 'smile' in a male a 'frown' in a female. From looking at the way my two boys react I think they're the best guide, they definitely know the difference, lol.
Mistakes have been made going by those tests.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the pelvic bone thing only work when they are mature? We tried the smile and frown thing, and its not really accurate on the pigeons we know the gender of. :confused:

Using single males sounds like a good idea! I will try that, but the one single male we have is kind of grumpy to everyone right now, so who knows what will happen.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
There are genetic linked colors which can provide clues based on the parent pigeons. Known as sex linked mating in which a genetic trait acquired is directly linked with the sex of the pigeon.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
There are genetic linked colors which can provide clues based on the parent pigeons. Known as sex linked mating in which a genetic trait acquired is directly linked with the sex of the pigeon.
Don't think that's going to help much in this case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the parents of some of the birds in question are Baldhead Birmingham rollers. The cock is Ash red spread, and the hen is a Blue check. So far they have all been red spreads like their dad. And they have had 6 babies so far.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
In a couple more months, you will probably pretty much be able to figure out what they are just by how they act.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In a couple more months, you will probably pretty much be able to figure out what they are just by how they act.
Well, I am quite positive now we have at least one male. He is strutting around his sibling, cooing, flaring his tail, etc. And the sibling coos quietly occasionally, and puffs out its crop just the tiniest bit, but never turns in circles. But again, that is how they both acted a little while ago.

And there are three more 1 month olds I have to figure out! :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well the longer you have them, and the more you watch them, I'll bet you will get pretty good at figuring it out.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts