Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
I have read about this method before , not tried it on any of my youngins thou so am very interested to see how your results come out ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the article they have to fall into that age range. I'm not sure if it works earlier or later, not even sure it works at all. I will keep you posted as to our results. Please post your results if you try this.

·
Registered
754 Posts
sexing

I was at a show once and a guy was doing this along with other movements and saying hen/ cock? I asked him if he knew for sure and he said the only thing I can tell you for sure is that it is a Pigeon. >Kevin

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Ok, so we will have to test on 3 - 4 weeks old babies and then wait until they get to 4 - 6 months for the test results :)

But its worth if the accuracy can be obtained as mentioned ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am wondering if this would work on older birds, I have a couple that I am undecided on as to thier sex. Neither one has been courting any of the hens. And I have a couple of cocks that have not been courting the 2 in question.
Waynef

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I tried on my older birds of known sex, doesn't seem to work on them. All the cocks and hen put their tail up when pulled. I think whether the tail goes up or down is dependent on the pigeon trying to balance itself.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I tried on my older birds of known sex, doesn't seem to work on them. All the cocks and hen put their tail up when pulled. I think whether the tail goes up or down is dependent on the pigeon trying to balance itself.
yea or maybe its because they are older

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it looks to me like it depends on how hard you pull and them trying to catch their balance. The tail fanning up would balance them. Out of curiosity to the original poster did any of yours tail down? And please do follow up.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I had several tails down out of 22 YB's. We had 12 up and 10 down. I can already confirm a couple of the sex as the chico cock bird has been trying to drive a couple of the young hens (or so the test says they are.)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am wondering if this would work on older birds, I have a couple that I am undecided on as to thier sex. Neither one has been courting any of the hens. And I have a couple of cocks that have not been courting the 2 in question.
Waynef
I think the only problem would be is getting the older bird to balance in your hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts