Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 818 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Wonderful progress you made--your a working person--looks beautiful--in a week you will have it finished...c.hert

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is 8x6 thats all the yard my wife would give me LOL. Im going to get the outside done for now untill i make some more money to finish the inside and the averary on the side I will post picks as i go

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Yes it is 8x6 thats all the yard my wife would give me LOL. Im going to get the outside done for now untill i make some more money to finish the inside and the averary on the side I will post picks as i go
If i had it my way my whole backyard would be my loft!:D

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dug 2 1/2' holes and filled them with cement to set the blocks on so it wouldnt raise when the ground freezes That was most of the time spent so far and digging out the bank behind it. There is a old utility shed 3' in front of the loft which i will replace and move further away next year. Its 25 years old and falling apart.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If only I had your carpentry skills.
I wish i had more carpentry skills. If you didnt notice in the picture. I built 4 8' walls for a 8x6 building LOL. I dont know what happened but It was a long day and it was hot. So I had to cut them down before I could install them. I think most folks could build a nice loft. The most important thing is to take your time and plan out each step. On the first loft sometimes there were days went by without doing a thing because i didnt know what I wanted to do next and I would rather do nothing than do something wrong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking really good, can't wait to start myself. I really don't have any carpentry skills either, slow and steady. My buddy says that if my name and handy are mentioned in the same sentence, it just means that I'm near by....LOL. Looking forward to following your progress and stealing all of your ideas....

Take care...

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its under roof now. Im going to put the sidding on this weekend. I have 5 days off. I work 10 days on and 4 off and am taking a vacation day tues to work on It. I will post pics some time this weekend when I get futher along. Im trying to figure what to do to get light into the loft They want 100 dollars for windows I think I can make something cheeper than that. Remember I have no plans just building as i go along.I have a few things in my head that I want but thats It. Two thing I do want is a 2' walkway so I can stand and look at the birds witout being in with them and I can open the door for air and I want the back of the nest boxes to face that walkway with doors so i can look at the babies from there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
More lighy

Im trying to figure what to do to get light into the loft They want 100 dollars for windows I think I can make something cheeper than that.
Maybe a sheet of translucent roofing, that will certainly let plenty of light in. I wish I used it on mine. I had it on the lofts at my old house and it was great for light.

Walter

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, maybe you can steal one of my ideas before I take all of yours, I'm thinking about a Clerestory Shed design, google it and see what you think. It's more work for sure but it certainly looks like you're up for it!!!! I think the windows at the top facing south would let a lot of light in... and it looks cool as well. If you don't build it first I'm gonna.... try this link.

Take care...

www.scdltd.com/.../building-a-clerestory-shed

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, maybe you can steal one of my ideas before I take all of yours, I'm thinking about a Clerestory Shed design, google it and see what you think. It's more work for sure but it certainly looks like you're up for it!!!! I think the windows at the top facing south would let a lot of light in... and it looks cool as well. If you don't build it first I'm gonna.... try this link.

Take care...

www.scdltd.com/.../building-a-clerestory-shed[/QUOTE
The link doesnt work here. I got mine past where i can change it so that idea you can have im sure it will be cool. man building material are way higher than when i built the last one. My ideas are here for the taking I have so many im going to need a bigger head to store them in LOL

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Take care...

www.scdltd.com/.../building-a-clerestory-shed
I saw that design I thought of that but how do you catch your birds in that high part You should keep them low to catch the birds. Just a thought .They sure could fly around in there.

1 - 20 of 818 Posts