Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shame on the person who dumped their pigeons in a Pleasanton, CA park today. One of the 7 (including a Lahore and a WOE Tumbler among others) was run over within the hour. How many will survive the night? If you or somebody you know is in the Pleasanton area and can help catch these birds, please do. MickaCoo is full but perhaps there are other pigeon people that can help to provide them a home?

UNABLE TO UPLOAD PIX- will try later.

·
Registered
967 Posts
That is so horrible, some people are just not right

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How can you be sure that they were just dumped there? Maybe escaped? But as Donna has mentioned, why were they not picked up?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
She was asking for help catching them.. which last I tried is pretty darn hard if they are flying up in the trees and it is getting dark and you don't have a latter tall enough. I don't think it is an easy job trying to catch pigeons so I would not be giving this caring person grief if you don't know the whole picture.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I figured she would provide all available information in the post.. she isn't one to tell only a part of a story. And if someone gets on here and tells only the bad side of something and leaves out the good parts, yes, they can expect criticism.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If you get them coming to a food pile then you can trap them under a box (or better, a wire cage). Elizabeth is an angel and Mickacoo is a wonderful organization. They have over 300 pigeons already and that is way more than they need to handle at a time. I have no doubt in my mind that they have contacted everyone else they know asking if someone can help these birds as well. Yes, they can catch them if they have the time, but they'd probably be staying in boxes until someone else could take them in. So don't go straight to acusing Elizabeth just because she personally cannot catch or house these birds. At least she came here asking for help.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update

A person was seen setting down a small, filthy crate in the park and opening the door letting out 7 fancy pigeons.

The witness tried to catch them and contacted MickaCoo and we tried to help them as best we could.

She replied-
Thanks Elizabeth,
I've been out there all morning unsuccessfully getting them into the cage.
Sadly I couldn't stay any longer.
I used water, bird seed, and helpful passerby's to try and lure and corral them into the cage.
*sigh*. I tried my best, but nothing worked.
My son and I left a bowl of water and seed for them.
Sorry I was unsuccessful in catching them.
I'll forward some pictures I took.
Thanks for all your advice and assistance.

A MickaCoo volunteer has since been out twice to try any help and was only able to catch one bird- a squeaker. The other birds are no longer there.

As much as I wish I could save every pigeon and dove that needs it, we cannot. There are lots, lots more birds in need of rescue than even MickaCoo and our volunteers can help. We have almost 50 birds just on the waiting list hoping to come into our foster care. Me and MickaCoo are doing the best we can and encourage you all, if you haven;t already, to incorporate rescue into your pigeon activities. There is a tremendous need for it.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Poor babies! Lahore, Satinette, and what looks like a red Carneau. The others I can't really tell. I would take them in if I were there!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
well i am glad to hear someone tried their best to get these guys, i wish all could have been caught and not just the one.. and to me looks very deformed in the legs, poor things..wish i could have helped but to far away..

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Poor babies! Lahore, Satinette, and what looks like a red Carneau. The others I can't really tell. I would take them in if I were there!
Im with you ..........I would take them all !

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sorry to have been critical. The original post just didn't make sense to me. Thanks for clarification. If I lived closer I'd go out tomorrow to try and help catch them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts