Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a pigeon story for today: She is 4 years old and her name is Diamond and her father is Speckles with her mother Sally and they are 8 and 7 years of age and live with about 60 other pigeons... Her father Speckles cheats on his wife with Beauty so Sally got mad and took off with Race. Well anyway--Diamond did not look well and I watched this for about 2 days and pulled her out of the loft and placed her in a large cage inside my home for watching.
She did not eat just sat there and was trying to throw up and I thought--"I have a real problem here" Took her to a qualified Vet as my pet bird and they took an xray of her gizzard area and there it was--jagged look and shiny like gold and we only had a side view (quick xray) what options do we have??
Not very many because surgery on the gizzard is not successful most of the time because they won"t heal--her first stomack out of whack too not round shape---they recommanded me to take her to a famous Vet School about 2 hours from my home because they didn't have the proper equipment or the people to attend to this pigeon.. So I made an appointment and fooled around with Diamond by feeding her soft food just praying she would not throw up all of it and remain strong for this trip. The wonderful Vet of 30 years specializing in birds took a proper xray She was asleep and all tied down) and there it was a square gold piece of something in her gizzard..So now there is choices to be made: put her to sleep for good, do a endoscopy and weave all the way to her gizzard and try to pull it out or just hope something else would happen in time---maybe she will pass it or it would become encrusted in the wall and become non dangerous?????So large it was about 3/4 inch by 1/4 of a inch (I have pictures xrays).. I said: GO FOR IT .
Three hours later Three happy faces are marching down the hallway with the Vet carrying a vial in his hand asking: "Do you recognize this"? I said:"No" for it was a square piece of copper very thin and to get it out of her he rolled it with the forceps and pulled it all the way to her mouth to get it out weaving it through her body-----CAN YOU IMAGINE THIS? AMAZING....Diamond is five years old now and giving all the birds in the fly loft and outside loft heck and this is the story that she created. I now have hard wire floors outside instead of sand so that I can see things that blow in or what a squirrel might drop from the top as they run across sometimes.... Her first stomach that was odd shaped gradually healed when a large piece of it came out of her and looked just like a large piece of green pepper and thats where it first stuck in her then moved to the gizzard so everything is normal again..c.herts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't really surgery it was a endoscopy where they weaved a small pair of forceps from her mouth to her gizzard--through her first stomach and grabbed on to it by rolling the thin copper piece like a cigeratte and then dragged it back out through her mouth---so so tiny--could you imagine--how amazing this is and for me to be part of....Surgery of the gizzard would have killed her-----just amazing the medical techniques of today---thanks for the acknowledgement of the story....c.herts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Robin as a matter of fact there is a stained glass place about 2 blocks North of my house and there was a wind storm a few days before Diamond got sick--thats why I thought something blew into the outside loft where they exercise..I bet your right because I never see a thin piece of copper like that to where you could actually roll it and this saved the bird--the thinness of it-Dr. didn't know what it was either thats why we sent it to toxicology..thanks for the imput--by the way Diamond is sitting on 2 plastic eggs right now-I took the other ones--but she thinks they are real--no more birds for me this year anyway...c.hert

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That is an amazing story. :)

How lucky were you to have such an expert facility in drivable distance with the know how, and prepared to try and help.

So glad she's doing well now.

Janet

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was very fortunate indeed and the service was just wonderful and people brought their pets from all over the world and as I was waiting for hours because of x-rays and arrangements I met some very interesting people having like 2 or 3 homes and on their way to one to another they would bring their dogs and cats in for some kind of treatment and a few had Lamas,Horses and even a black lamb with a hurt foot and of course it took me three months to get even on my money once again--so I eat noodles while Diamond ate seed but we made it--Yes it was interesting and a trip out of the house for me...Colorado State Vet School--Ft. Collins. c-hert

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Loved the story. Welcome to PT. I have noticed that you really know your stuff and you are willing to help people out anyway you can. Great job and so happy that Diamond made it and is still with you. Also glad that you practice birth control. There are so many unwanted pigeons out there and I think everyone should practice birth control. mindy

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you liked the story and I was just amazed on some of the things they can do nowadays. With my life I hear about different things that people medically can have done but I never come across these things for myself but that job by that Vet was amazing to say the least....c.hert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts