Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received some PMV and paratyphoid vaccines.Only thing is they were warm.Should'nt they be shipped in an ice pack,since i paid for 2nd day shipping?.The items were shipped on the 20th,and just received them today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i already asked Frank Mosca 2 mounths ago a bout this issue and he told me your vaccination should b ok just use it as soon as possibole .that s a bout the PMV Vaccination.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Vaccines are supposed to be shipped 2nd day as you mentioned, and with a cool pak. Or at least, that's the way mine were shipped. Put them in the fridge for now, and you should probably contact who you bought it from and ask them about it. It could have been a mistake with packing or maybe they just don't ship theirs that way. The vaccines will probably be okay. Usually because you inject something, you leave the filled syringe out on the table to come to room temp before injecting. But you don't know how hot the bottles could have gotten on the way there.

My paratyphoid vaccine bottle says store at 35-45F degrees.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They came with a cooling pack but it was warm.I tried to contact them but it was too late,as i received the box around 5:30 pm.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
In the perfect world, yes :p But wouldn't it be easier to have two syringes out? Use one while the other warms up, then once you're done, fill that one up again, and use the one that had been left out. And alternate until you're done.

For PMV, it's a dead vaccine, so leaving the whole bottle out won't bother it. But I believe the Pox vaccine is an alive strain, since the birds do go through a mild case of pox when injected. I'll have to check and make sure. In that case, you really shouldn't leave the whole bottle out any longer than you have to. Alive vaccines are ment to be kept cold until use. Then again, they also expect you to use up the whole thing at once, so it's kind of hard to do everything right, huh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep. Just went and looked at the bottles. PMV is killed, Pox is alive. As for the paratyphoid, it isn't even a virus, so I don't know. Dead bacteria maybe? I don't know. I doubt it's alive.

Here's what Foy's says about their vaccines:

'Vaccines (PMV, Pox, Paratyphoid/Salmonella)
All vaccines are shipped with a cold pack. We must ship all vaccines via 2nd day air unless a quicker method is requested. Pox Vaccine must ship Next Day Air. (Additional shipping charges apply.) Bring vaccines to room temperature before use. PMV1, Sal-Bac and Quatracon include a free syringe and needle. Antibiotics should not be used for 5 days before or after a vaccination. Antibiotics can decrease the vaccinations effectiveness. You should give a mixture of vitamins and immune boosters before, during and after vaccinations. This may increase the success of the vaccination.'

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Im pretty sure we would be using this
385 MBL PMV1™ (PIGEON VACC) Shipping Wt.
AVIAN PARAMYXOVIRUS VACCINE
Type 1, killed virus. Manufactured by
Lohmann Animal Health
(Distributed by Maine)
50ml/100 doses 1.5kg $45.95

One syringe for me and one for mookeeman as i would probally be doing it with him.. So how would that work.. We would both have our own bottle..

sorry for taking over this thread kinda :S

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Since it's killed you can leave it out then. Otherwise, it'd take you forever, LOL. Don't worry about it.
When it comes to poxing them, luckily it's a smaller bottle, only 50 doses. So then you won't have to worry about the heating up, because you'll be able to use it all yourself at once.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just contacted the place where i got the vaccines,and the person answering the phone said that they should be ok since they're killed vaccines,unlike pox vacc.He also said to shake the bottles up if no broke up white residue appeared that it's fine(which i did ,didn't notice anything but bubbles from the Paratyphoid vacc).The PMV vaccine is made up of thick oil,so it's hard to notice anything even if it's bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts