Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to ship pigeons,do they have to be medicated against certain types of disease? I know they need a shipping box approved by the postal service,and can't be shipped on fridays,holidays or when the weather is very hot,but that's all I know.I live in Maine and not many people raise pigeons in this area,I love to let them have some babies now and then but I can't keep them all.I don't want to give them away because I don't want them to be used to train dogs.I figured any one on pigeon talk must love pigeons,so I thought I would ask,,thanks.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just got 6 birds shipped to me from Maine yesterday. The post office doesnt require vaccinations but its always wise to at least vaccinate for pmv or let the person you are shipping to know that they have not been vaccinated, so they can do so. Its pretty simple, put the birds in the box and take them to the post office, but there are tips to being a good shipper. I make sure i feed them before putting them in the box, this will insure that they take a big drink of water. Also put some unscented bedding in the bottom of the box, i say unscnted because the boxes can be very stuffy and i feel its not good for them to breathe heavily scented stuff like that. DO NOT overcrowd your box, i get shipments in all the time that have way too many birds in the box just to save the shipper some money. Its not good for the birds and just makes you look bad. Make sure you put the persons phone number that you are shipping to in large print on the box. I write it several different places along with please call on arrival. Cant think of anything else besides just watch the weather and try to ship on a cooler day. Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts