Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

My wife and I have a 5 month old rescue pigeon, named Pidge. She has had a pretty rough start in life, but she is a survivor.

She is doing great, but is still reliant on being tube fed several times a day. We do hand feed her seeds, and she pecks them all day long, but just doesn't seem to be able to pull them into her mouth.

We are supposed to be going overseas in a few weeks (1st week in April) and are trying to find someone with tube feeding experience and a love of pigeons, to take care of Pidge for about 5 days.

If we find the right person, within a couple of hours of Bristol, we'd be happy to drive her there.

If anyone could help out, or knows of a reliable pet service in our area that would be able to take care of our special needs pigeon, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Shawn

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Can't help as regards looking after pigeon, but ...

It sounds like there is some problem with her that needs looking into. No pigeon of that age should need to be tube fed, or even hand fed, as you're obviously aware, so I'm wondering what may be wrong.

What is her behaviour like - how active is she? Is it possible there is some problem in her vision?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can't help as regards looking after pigeon, but ...

It sounds like there is some problem with her that needs looking into. No pigeon of that age should need to be tube fed, or even hand fed, as you're obviously aware, so I'm wondering what may be wrong.

What is her behaviour like - how active is she? Is it possible there is some problem in her vision?
Hi John,

Thanks for your response.

She pecks at seeds all day long, and can pick them up, but then she chatters them in the end of her beak and then drops them.

She did have PMV, and still shows signs of it (i.e. head craning/twisting). Without going into too much detail, she did finally seem to be making progress about a month ago. She was finally managing to eat some seeds on her own, but then had a run in with a dog and got injured quite badly. It was a terrible mistake on my part (I hadn't latched a door properly). She has made a great recovery, but since then hasn't managed to eat a single seed on her own.

I think she may just have become too reliant on our tube feeding, but not sure how to wean her. I've heard you need to just let them get really hungry, but not sure how far to go with that. We worry about her losing weight.

Only other thing I wonder about is whether her beak is okay. I've attached a picture of the tip. Could you see if you think it looks okay, or if it might be a bit too hooked and if that might be a problem.

To answer your questions, I think her vision is okay because she can pick the seeds up okay. She seems fairly active - no problem getting around. She only walks, as she can't fly. She lost a lot of feathers in the run in with the dog, but even before that she would flap her wings a lot but never really get anywhere - just sort of skim along the floor backwards.

Any advice is appreciated.
Regards,
Shawn

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am making a few enquiries on your behalf.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Martin Burford in Worcester that can help, he is experienced but not a PT member. Can you PM me your telephone number or e-mail so you can discuss it with him?

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I have sent you private message with Martin's telephone number.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Cynthia. Thanks so much for your response. Great to know there might be someone who can help. I'll give Martin a call tomorrow.
Cheers, Shawn.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On pigion not eating well

I had that trouble (pecking at seeds but not seeming to get many in) with a woodie and a feral that I hand reared...I ended up both cooking the grains and scrambling them in eggs... that seemed to help and although I still had to feed them, they seemed to be better at picking up the larger, soft globs of food....
I'm glad your pigeon is so well loved

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have sent you private message with Martin's telephone number.
Hi Cynthia,
Thank you so much for putting us in touch with Martin. I've spoken to him and he is going to take Pidge for us while we're away. He seems like a great guy. I think Pidge will be in good hands.
All the best,
Shawn

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had that trouble (pecking at seeds but not seeming to get many in) with a woodie and a feral that I hand reared...I ended up both cooking the grains and scrambling them in eggs... that seemed to help and although I still had to feed them, they seemed to be better at picking up the larger, soft globs of food....
I'm glad your pigeon is so well loved
Hi Carole,
Thanks for the ideas. We will try your suggestions and see if Pidge finds that any easier. Probably a good idea to just try food in different forms and see what she has the most success with.
Will keep you posted on her progress.
Cheers,
Shawn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts