Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I trained the birds. People around here do not hunt on Sundays, and we trained too close to church time anyways. Didn't hear a shot all day yesterday. Well today is a different story of course. Everyone is off of work and out in the fields at sunrise. Right now I can hear them all over the place.
I expected my birds to be back within reasonable time, but I think they got mixed up with some other birds. Had 21 by last night. This morning I had a few come in just fine, just tired and stressed. A few minutes ago, here comes Stumpy with about 6 or 7 ferals and another 09 banded pigeon :rolleyes: They landed on the roof, but as soon as I walked past the house, they took off into the distance. As soon as they were out of sight, I heard several shots from that direction :( A pair of homers flew over the house (not mine) earlier today, and again, once out of sight, pow pow pow. It's getting ugly out there...

All of my birds in the loft are fine except one that I noticed bleeding. Caught it and found a little shot wound on its body. It's a fresh wound, so must have just happened before it got home this morning. It flew in just fine so it wasn't close enough to destory any muscle as far as I can tell. But I still don't know how far in the shot is. It looks perfectly fine, but I'm afraid it'll get lead poisoning. Any ideas on what I can do, except get the shot out (if I can even do that :eek: )?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
So sorry Becky. My birds haven't been out of the loft all week end, including today. I knew I wouldn't train them and although I haven't noticed any guns firing and the birds probably would have been ok just loft flying, I figured all it would take is a hawk to scare them and if they leave the immediate area, it might be a different story.
After that bad toss on Sunday, two weeks ago, we will not be training on the week ends any more. Too many others out training and lots of clubs are racing from our area heading back to the north.
I might loose a bunch of birds once we start racing...........guess time will tell, but I'm holding on to them as long as I can. Not in a BIG hurry anyway, because the first two races will be shipped very lightly. So, in actuality, I've still got 4 or 5 weeks before the REAL races begin. I hate this course this year and won't fly it again. Ever. Not YB's anyway.
We're having to drive over 2 hours round trip to get the birds to 20 miles. Doesn't make a lick of sense.
As far as getting the lead out of your bird, I have no clue. I hope he'll be ok.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bird hope that you can get that lead pellet out of the bird. I tried to warn about the dove season check your state regulations for the dates here in California its SEPT. 1-15 but it can be different in other states GEORGE;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate this course too. I have no clue where we're going when we go north, since most of where I'm familiar with is south :rolleyes: Luckily the highways have still done us a little bit of good, but up until 20 miles, we still had to go all over creation just to get some air distance. I knew up there you guys would have it worse, but I didn't know it was that bad! :eek: I agree, I'm not flying that way anymore either. If we do try it again in the future, I'll just keep my birds and fly them as old birds, unless someone is willing to train for me :rolleyes: Since we're flying from some of the same points as the combine on the coast, I sure hope none of my birds end up over there. I don't know that I'll be able to talk my parents into going out there to pick up birds :eek:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
George, dove season started two days ago for us. But like I said, down here people don't hunt on Sundays. It's not a law as far as I'm aware of, but living in the bible belt, people just generally don't. I know a few other people who trained yesterday as well and had no problems. When I saw Stumpy bring in strays I had a pretty good idea of what happened yesterday. Some of mine are probably still sitting in town with the ferals right now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually nevermind, it IS a law that you do not hunt on Sundays.

Also, we plucked some feathers around the wound to get a better look. It went into the crop. There's no getting it out, so hopefully it'll just pass through? :confused: We cleaned it with alcohol and put neosporin on once we were done.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Sometimes those pellets can make their way in good. When we found Tooter in May of 2004 he had been shot. One BB pellet went right through his wind but another one lodged close to his lung from what the x rays confirmed. Our avian vet at that time discouraged removal as it would very likely be fatal if removed.Tooter is still going strong after he was shot over 5 years ago.I hope yours will be alright.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Actually nevermind, it IS a law that you do not hunt on Sundays.
That's why some members wanted to leave the schedule as it was and fly those first two races on Sunday..........can't hunt before 12:00 noon up here and not at all down there, so the birds would have been fine. :rolleyes:
We haven't even started yet, and I'm already wishing it was over...........LOL

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
that is disapointing to hear about the shot, trigger happy idiots..IMO, I think he will be alright, you might want to dose him with antibios, can't think of anything else to do. my birds are not going down the road for the duration, it is real RN country around here, not that there is anything wrong with that, as Iam one..lol..., it is just pretty dangerous for the birds at this time.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL. I'm with you there Renee. This year has just been stressful!

Victor, well that gives me some hope! He's lucky he could fly home :eek: I'm just glad he didn't get sprayed anymore than this. Me and my dad both agree that I think this bird has had enough now. I don't think I'll race him this season. He'll just chill out here until Old bird season, if I even decide to race him then. I think I might name him Old Hickory if he makes it, after president Andrew Jackson :p He also had a few bullet wounds, near the heart and in the shoulder/arm. The one in his shoulder was removed after 20 years and he sent it back to the guy who shot him, who then returned it to Jackson, saying after so long, it's his property, haha :p

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is disapointing to hear about the shot, trigger happy idiots..IMO, I think he will be alright, you might want to dose him with antibios, can't think of anything else to do. my birds are not going down the road for the duration, it is real RN country around here, not that there is anything wrong with that, as Iam one..lol..., it is just pretty dangerous for the birds at this time.
Good idea. And yeah, we're in what used to be probably the most agricultural county in the area, haha. I'm surrounded by fields and woods. Definitely lots of ******** down here :p Including in this house, LOL.

·
Registered
632 Posts
So sorry to hear your bird got shot, Becky! Hope the pellet passes through, that would be the ideal scenario, but either way I hope he continues to improve.

G

·
i do know in most dogs and cats that have been shot they pretty much live with it in them for the rest of their lives without a problem ,so as long as there is no internal bleeding your bird should do fine with a little birdshot inside it ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts