Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright you guys, help me here. freya and trooper are on their second clutch of unfertilized eggs. i say they're unfertilized because i've seen them attempt the deed and because of trooper's mangled legs, he can't get the right position, so their last clutch of two was unfertilized.

my worry is for freya, can she keep laying eggs every month without harm to her system? they get lots of good food, and a calcium supplement, but is there a way to stop her from laying eggs every month? i can't imagine them doing this every month for the rest of their lives, this sitting on unfertilized eggs, is there a way to prevent her from laying them? or is this okay?

what's the consensus? i don't want them having little ones, but they're determined, even though it's obvious it's not going to happen, i don't know what the most right thing to do is.

help!

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Hi Lizz,

You can have a vet prescribe a medicine that will stop the egg laying and
give your hen a break. The problem with this approach is the medicine itself
can cause cancer. The Pigeon Supply Houses in the Resource Section should
carry a liquid calcium supplement that help laying hens kick the eggs out with.
Providing red grit and calcium grit, and some of the liquid calcium
products is helpful in 'weathering the storm'. In time, I believe they will
adjust their egg behavior to one that is less stressful. I've seen this in my
hens here. Here are some links to products that you might want to consider
having on hand:

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-516/Vanhee-VAN-dsh-MINVIT-8000-A/Detail.bok

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-173/CALCIUM-GLUCONATE-23-pct--SOLUTION/Detail.bok

There is another product that I've used that is excellent but I'm having a hard time finding a link for you. The name of the product is: Cal Sure from Vydex Animal Health Limited. You will have to Google this one but it has D3 and Magnesium for improved absorption, as does the powdered supplement offered by Van Hee's.

fp

alright you guys, help me here. freya and trooper are on their second clutch of unfertilized eggs. i say they're unfertilized because i've seen them attempt the deed and because of trooper's mangled legs, he can't get the right position, so their last clutch of two was unfertilized.

my worry is for freya, can she keep laying eggs every month without harm to her system? they get lots of good food, and a calcium supplement, but is there a way to stop her from laying eggs every month? i can't imagine them doing this every month for the rest of their lives, this sitting on unfertilized eggs, is there a way to prevent her from laying them? or is this okay?

what's the consensus? i don't want them having little ones, but they're determined, even though it's obvious it's not going to happen, i don't know what the most right thing to do is.

help!

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Lizz,

You can Google this medication further now that you have the info on it, here's
a link for Lupron:

http://www.internationalparrotletsociety.org/lupron.html

Only you will know if it can be helpful in your circumstances. In the meantime,
make sure that your hen has the supplements necessary to help in the production of eggs.

fp

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

help!
well, that is what a pair of pigeons do, if she is getting calcium with D3, I would not worry about it...if you do not want them to hatch use the wooden eggs, because you never know he may fertilize the eggs at some point and I would not be so sure he never could....Im sure you don't want to seperate them, but that is another method, but that is when you would have alot of hens that would be together to keep each other company.:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Breeding Cycle

My birds average breeding cycle is about 50 days in winter and less than 40 in late spring and early summer. It is in keeping with the amount of daylight. More daylight=faster cycle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts