Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. Today I noticed that one of my active cocks has what appears to be yellowish callouses on his foot pads. He is very active and courts constantly often walking and pacing on feeders. Is this normal?? Should I be concerned about fungal infections or pox?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The wire on the bottom is really not good for their feet. Rather cover this with a couple of layers of newspaper and just remove the top layer every morning and evening to keep things clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wire on the bottom is really not good for their feet. Rather cover this with a couple of layers of newspaper and just remove the top layer every morning and evening to keep things clean.
Thanks for your quick reply. I only placed him on the wire mesh in a small crate to take the picture. He normally is on clean litter and plastic and wood perches.

I was wondering if you or anyone seen callouses on pigeon feet before?

I have isolated him in a larger crate for now and am worried about him. None of the other birds show any symptoms nor do they have any issues with their feet. He is not showing any other signs or symptoms and is acting 100 percent normal as per his usual self.

In lieu of a proper vet diagnosis, I ordered 2 percent ketoconazole cream ointment as a topical if it indeed is fungal. I am just worried that it could be more than a callous. Pox is a fear, but none of the other birds have ever had this.

·
Registered
417 Posts
They look like corns. My heavy king pigeons look a little worse than yours, and a few of my feather-footed birds get pretty severe hyperkeratosis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bootface. Yes, they do look like corns but after hours of trying to research it in the net, it seems birds do not get callouses.

“Birds are unable to form calluses on the bottom of their feet so through chronic wear the scales will wear thin. What you will notice is that there will be red sores on the bottom of the feet with the loss of the normal round scales. In severe, chronic cases there can be ulcerations through the skin which can produce lameness.” - Peter S. Sakas DVM, MS, Niles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center, Niles, IL USA

Although I can not completely rule it out, it may seem that it is unlikely. After looking at loads of pictures around the net of various conditions affecting bird feet, it may indeed be dermatophytosis. From what I can gather hyperkeratosis is either genetic or due to vitamin A deficiency. The birds gets plenty of vitamins in the water pots and minerals in picking pots so this is also unlikely as the top scales on his toes look perfectly normal. Pox lesions appear usually on the joints or elsewhere and are not limited to the pads. Touch wood it is not the pox. I have never had a problem with pox nor do I take them out of the loft or show or race them. I hope care and the anti-fungal with isolation does the trick. I will also try to minimise his activity and hope he will be on the mend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have been going mental sanitising the entire loft, perches and all if it is fungal. The others have normal feet but I will be keeping a keen eye on them all

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi Bootface. Yes, they do look like corns but after hours of trying to research it in the net, it seems birds do not get callouses.

“Birds are unable to form calluses on the bottom of their feet so through chronic wear the scales will wear thin. What you will notice is that there will be red sores on the bottom of the feet with the loss of the normal round scales. In severe, chronic cases there can be ulcerations through the skin which can produce lameness.” - Peter S. Sakas DVM, MS, Niles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center, Niles, IL USA
That's referring to pododermatitis. You haven't actually shown a picture of the foot pad. What you can see in the photo is build up of scales on the side of the toes, which heavy birds get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts