Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that altgirl35 has sent me small syringes (which were the initial problem for deworming: here we don't have syringes smaller than 10ml or at least they aren't for sale) should I try to take them to the vet and deworm them? They wanted to deworm them with ivermectin, but they said that the syringes we conventionally use aren't small enough for a dosage.
If you give me the ok, I'll go tomorrow and ask. And, while we're on it, I'm going to ask to get them weighed.
How much ivermectin is the normal dosage per kg?
I still don't know if I'm going to release them or not. That's why this is in ferals.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I alternate Ivermectin and Pyrantel (strongid).
I prefer Pyrantel because it is safer and has a larger margin for error.
Ivermectin comes in SO MANY different strengths that you have to be careful to get the correct dosage. And I've had adverse reactions in some birds with it.
Many vets use Pyrantel for dogs and cats, so its easier to get also.
Dosage for Pyrantel (strongid) (using 50mg/ml strength) is .13 ml per bird.
If you still want to use Ivermectin, you would need to find out the exact strength before you can get a dosage.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You can worm the birds yourself.
Its really easy
You would need Ivomectin 0.5% and give each bird 3 drops down the throat and repeat in 12 days.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can buy Ivermectin anywhere, but it'll be way cheaper to ask the vet to do it for me.
Ivermectin there costs 10 dls (40 pesos, which is like 40 dollars for you) plus shipping...
I definitely don't have 40 pesos. But the ruminal product I showed on the other posts should cost around 15, which I do have, and it'd last quite some time if I needed to use it in any other bird.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can your vet give you a bottle that will last you a while, instead of just worming the bird?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you use Ivermectin, rather use pour on type and drop one drop on the back of the pigeon. Ivermectin is not effective for round worms though. I use Ivermectin and Praziquantel. Second one is much better and safe.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Why do you say that Ivermectin is not effective against roundworms. Many people use it for that, and get results. I use it, and get results. Nothing is 100%. It is good to rotate what you use every few times so that the worms don't build up a resistance. I have used Wazine from Global and gotten good results with that.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh sorry. I thought my aunt would take a bit longer to order it, and when I called she told me she already had it. I was going to ask her to change to Ivermectin, but since I asked her yesterday night I thought she would take longer (she's usually really busy).
Do you think this won't be as effective? Should I go for Ivermectin too? Or directly avoid usage of this one I bought? Maybe deworm them first with one and then with the other one (with some space between the doses)? Or do like Jay3 and next time I deworm them (I don't know if this is don't regularly or what, like dogs?) I deworm them with Ivermectin?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If it is a worming med for birds, it should be fine. There are many different wormers that people use. I'd use it. Many people change what they use every few times. It's a good practice so that the worms don't become resistant to it. Later on you can always pick up the other so that you have two.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
By the way, some people worm twice a year, and some do it every few months. Different with everyone.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Even if you alternate every few times, it would be fine. You don't have to change it the next time you worm. I do my birds twice a year, but they don't fly outside. If I had a reason to think that they needed to be wormed before that, then I would. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
if you have ivermec just drop 3 drops down their throat and you shoult be good to go and then repeat in 12-14 days ;)
They don't have the ivermec yet. They have something else, but are planning on getting the ivermc later on.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Why do you say that Ivermectin is not effective against roundworms. Many people use it for that, and get results. I use it, and get results. Nothing is 100%. It is good to rotate what you use every few times so that the worms don't build up a resistance. I have used Wazine from Global and gotten good results with that.
It's shown that roundworms have already built a resistance to Ivermec.
That's why its good to rotate wormers. I still rotate and use it, but I have better luck with Pyrantel (strongid), and its safer.
I've read in many avian reports that once you have roundworms (in a large flock), that it is nearly impossible to clear them 100%. Therefore they should be on a routine worming schedule. I worm mine every 3 months and they pass roundworms everytime!
I never had a problem with roundworms until I took in the 11 rescued homers and tumblers that were seized by the NHSPCA from an abuse situation.
On the other hand, my fantails are in a different enclosure. I worm them once a year - NEVER had or passed any worms.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.