Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at my feeding options. I'm currently working at a feed store and they have this game bird feed that the operator of the store says some people have used for pigeons. Here are the ingredients and such, please tell me if it sounds good for pigeons.

Game Bird Mix $5.25 per 7 lb Bag

Analysis:
Crude Protein 15.5%
Lysine .64%
Methionine .25%
Crude Fat 5.4%
Crude Fiber 5.5%
Calcium 1%
Phosphorus .45%
Salt .5%
Ash 5.5%

Ingredients:
Whole Corn, Milo, Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Whole Barley, Ground White Wheat, Red Wheat, Cracked Corn, Wheat Millrun, Whole Oats, Canadian Peas, Ground Malt Sprouts, Popcorn, Fish Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Safflower Seeds, Austrian Peas, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Fish Meal, Dried Whey, Vegetable Oil, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Propionic Acid (a mold inhibitor), DL-Methionine Hydroxy Analogue, Artificial Color, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Active Dry Yeast, L-Lysine

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Wow, that's quite a variety! I think it would be fine to feed your birds :) The protein isn't too high, so they shouldn't get too fat or anything.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can buy a real Pigeon mix ...50 pounds, for less than you would spend for 4 bags of this stuff.. Why would you want to give them game mix when you can give them the mix designed just for Pigeons?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This stuff is usually 22.95 for a 50 lb bag... but the last bag was bulked out and marked up. We don't have any other pigeon food in stock right now, just grit and oyster shell. I was just thinking of using this stuff for something to tide my birds over til I could restock with something that fits my budget a bit more. I'm running really low on feed.

Also, I've just put out large stainless steel dog dish bowls full of water out for my birds, hoping they can cool off in it a bit. Any tips out there to make birds more comfortable, this heat is really doing a number on the farm animals. We had a rabbit die yesterday, and I suspect heat stroke.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah I would go with the pigeon mix because usually the ingredients in game bird feed is mashed together and made into pellets or crumble.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
A clean kitty litter pan is a much better bath for a pigeon. They have room to splash in and really cool off and clean up. A dog dish is okay in an emergency, but doesn't really afford them the room that they need. You can pick up kitty litter pans really cheap. Fill them up with a couple of inches of water, and they'd love it!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the gamebird feed makes for loose stools, it is a nice thing to add when breeding though, I put it in a sepeate crock in the nest box when the birds are feeding young ones. and it can be added to the pigeon seed mix, but they tend to eat the seeds first and leave the gamebird mash, perhaps a pellet would be better to mix in, if you leave the pellet and cut back a bit on the seed mix they will eat it eventually, but just straight gamebird makes for high volume and sloppy droppings. just order the pigeon feed as you need it, that is what my feed store does for me, so I have to make sure I order it before I run out. oh ggoss's idea of the purina gold and green is terrific if you know how to mix it right, but it is a round pellet feed and the same thing will happen with the droppings, loose, and I do believe you do not give any grit with that feed as it has all they need in it. I prefer to give the seed/legume pigeon feed and let them take grit by choice as they know what they need. also sorry about your rabbit, it is true they can not handle the heat, I would have to bring mine indoors at times in the summer when it was reaching 85 to 90 outside, in the winter no problems at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts