Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pigeon with what I believe to be roundworms. I had a faecal sample tested at the vets and it came back clear somehow; is this common?

Not long after the test came back clear, she passed a pretty big dead roundworm. I used a wormer that seemed to be really effective several weeks ago, but then a couple of days ago she passed another small dead roundworm. I've used the same wormer and she hasn't passed any worms yet that I've seen, but at this point last time she had definitely passed some I'm sure.

Should I change the wormer I am using or is there a chance that maybe there was just a couple of worms in there and they are now passed? How hard is it to fully get rid of worms?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If they are dead the wormer is doing its job. We will rotate wormers, but you need to use a good one to start with. We use Aviomed AvioEkto/Endo+ Wormer that covers a number of internal worms and external parasites too. First time dosed when we get new birds in, the next morning after the one pill there are dead worms if they have any. Dying worms will last a few days depending how full they are from the previous owner, but regular worming is a must until you have none after treatment. If you fly them, worming on a schedule should be a regular thing in my opinion. Unsure why your test came back clear, but a good wormer every 3 months or as noted from your vet or the medication instructions is very beneficial. We also have Mediworm that we use in a rotation to make sure nothing gets immune to the good Aviomed wormer we have had great success with. My buddy on the other hand doesn't believe in medicating his birds, and has had some die due to various illnesses. His also fly and he doesn't have much for worms either. He thinks the stock he has left are tough enough to fend off anything that shows up. Probably depends on your school of thought... I'm new to these forums but they have really helped us to learn different things. Definitely search the site for other worming discussions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts