Pigeon-Talk banner
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  EgypSwiftLady 
#1 · (Edited)
Feral pigeons in Figueira da Foz, Portugal, are constantly mistreated and under stress.

After the town hall removed a lot of the tree cover, all the nesting boxes, all the drinking water and prohibited their feeding, things got bad.
But, as if that wasn't enough, then we have THE TOURIST SEASON!

Scenes of animal abuse happen everyday, several times a day, during the summer months. WHY? Most of the perpetrators are children, and the parents just stand by, apparently thinking it's all good family fun.

Then there are the adults who take an active part:

These two dogs are known cat-killers, probably pigeon-killers too. Despite numerous requests/arguments, the owner NEVER walks them on a leash. (He doesn't pick up the poop, either -- the bag is just for show!)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am sorry to hear of this, many human beings are showing such a lack of care and love for Gods creatures, and they pass it on to their children without realizing what they are doing. The consequences are tragic and the punishment will be even greater. Pray for the world.

#3 ·
I agree wth you Trees Gray. I sometimes come in contact with young children who are taught to kill an insect or reptile just because their parents do it. If I can I explain to them that the ant, spider or beetle or the snake or lizard aren't out to harm them and are just going about their daily business and could be caring for a family just like their mommy and daddy do and that they hurt and cry just like we do. Just explaining this I watch a light click on in their eyes and they do realize, even at a young age, that all of the worlds creatures are not so different from us.

Sorry for the rambling but the world will not change unless we can help our future, the children, understand.

#4 ·
You are both quite right, and when it's possible to let children get a different view of animals and learn to be kind to them, the positive consequences may last them a lifetime.
In this case, however, holidaymakers seem possessed of some sort of holiday hysteria -- entertain me! entertain me now! -- and if most of what the kids see when they look around them are pigeons, then they 'play' with them. The most infuriating is that, in practically every case, the parents don't do anything, just stand around as useful as cardboard cutouts!
That's why, when I give water to the park pigeons I have to stick around until they've had a chance to drink, and why I decided to show what goes on.

#5 ·
I rarely take vacations where there are groups of people and groups of animals. But I used to work at a resort for 2 yrs. and know full well how the guest or vacationers expect everything BEFORE they even ask for it and how their eyes seem to glaze over when it comes to watching their children.:mad:

I didn't mean to speak lightly about your concern for the pigeons, I do understand and agree with you and want to thank you for reminding us and for keeping an out out for this flock. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.